What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

this is aweful

Because in foreign countries, dropping napalm on mine fields is not an option. We have to send in live people to find, dig up and de-fuse the land mines, which is EXTREMELY dangerous. Fort Ord is a military owned compound, and they basicaly have the right to do whatever the heck they feel like there. Just like you have a right to dig up your lawn and plant a CP bog. It all depends on your priorities. The military objective is not conservation. They are there to train people to risk their lives doing a job that MOST of us would rather not do. They train to fight and die in OUR defence, to preserve our rights as Americans to sit here and complain about how awful they are. For those of you who are anti-military, I will not attempt to sway your opinion. I would however like to give you something to think about. Without the military, MANY of the technological and medical advances that have been made in the last 150 years would not have come to pass. Much of what we all take for granted in todays society was originaly designed for use by the military. That PC you are sitting at right now, reading this on, was originaly designed to calculate the complex mathematics of trajectories for aiming guns at targets. MANY MANY of the medical advances made in the 20th century are directly related to battlefield medical observations and techniques. How many lives have been SAVED as a result of what was learned from the losses of wartime? I for one have no problem with them scorching off the mine field. I would rather lose a few animals than see my friends, or my friends children killed or maimed by a land mine.

climbing off the soapbox...
Steve

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ Oct. 27 2003,8:11)]Fort Ord is a military owned compound, and they basicaly have the right to do whatever the heck they feel like there. Just like you have a right to dig up your lawn and plant a CP bog.
Its not a matter of being Anti military, in fact most of my family has been in the military at one point or other. The point is there probably was better ways for them to deal with the mine field then to drop napalm on it. I am not a military expert and don't claim to have the knowledge or experience to say what the best method would have been. One thing I do know is if the target was 400 acres and over 1200 acres has burned, and a town has been made sick from the fumes & smoke sounds like a screw up to me.

People have the right to question their military and to demand answers that is what a democracy is about. I think it naive to say that the military is their to protect us so lets not ever question their actions.

On one last note I might be able to dig up my backyard and make a bog, but at my last house I had to get a permit to cut down a tree. Their are many ecologically sensitive areas that have strict guidelines as to what you can do on your land.

Just a side note..... Fort Ord is not exactly teeming with wildlife anyway. I have hunted there a couple times and believe me animals are scarce at best. Now Im sure they dont let us hunt on the minefields but I do know that in the areas they do allow us to go you are more likely to catch 50 ticks, than 1 rabbit or bird.  

Steve

Ouch to the animals.
sad.gif

They will HAUNT the military base for 1000 years!!!
ghostface.gif
lol

I think we do much worse then just dropping a bomb in a base area. How about wars, we must kill hundreds/thousands of animals. I feel sorry for them (animals) getting killed with no warning.

Humans 1rst
Nature 2nd
That will never change.

Travis

Well, I'm between the other two fires, which are far smaller than the one in San Diego. There was a teeny fire a mile from my home last week, but that was a under a hundred acres and less frightening because the winds hadn't started and I knew there were only two fires total at that time, so there were plenty of firefighters around to control it.

Here's a pic of the Simi Valley fire that I just took (9pm). I'm about 30 miles from it, but you can still see how extensive it is. At least they didn't napalm this controlled burn. Not sure that would be legal anywhere but a military held spot. Then again, I was just mentioning today that "the man" had no problems spraying malathion all over my backyard about 10 years ago. 
rock.gif

simivalleyfire.jpg

Oh, and here's a bizarre story for the watercooler: Car backfires  and sets dog on fire...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seedling @ Oct. 27 2003,2:59)]People have the right to question their military and to demand answers that is what a democracy is about. I think it naive to say that the military is their to protect us so lets not ever question their actions.
You definitely have the right to question, they're just not obligated to tell you.

Back