What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about getting a pair of dart frogs

Hello,
I recently went to the zoo, and in the herpatarium I saw D. auratus. This is my favorite dart frog. I have also heard that it is very easy to care for and breed, although it is a shy species. Can anyone tell me how to care for this species, maybe give me some links on care info. and maybe list a few places I can get this guy for a low price? I am looking for the black and green spotted form.
TIA
-Spec
alien.gif

Here's some morph pictures if your interested...
rrauratusgbmod_s.jpg
dwauratusgb.jpg
Daura2sm.jpg
D_Auratus3_CM_s.jpg
auratuspan.jpg
rrauratusbb.jpg

Care Sheet:

Physical Description
Size range:  1 to 2.5  inches (25 to 60 mm)
How to identify sexes:  Females tend to be larger/fatter/rounder.  Adult males are smaller/slimmer, have enlarged toe pads, and have vocal  sacs.
Age of maturity:  approximately 12 months
Distribution:  Costa Rica, Panama, and Nicaragua.  There was also a population introduced on to the island of Oahu in Hawaii.

Vivarium
Recommended dimension:  10 gal. +
Temperature Range:  68° - 83° F (20° - 28° C)
Terrarium landscaping:  Give the frogs some areas of heavy plant cover to hide in when they feel threatened and some open areas for them to hunt in.
Parts of the vivarium occupied: They will often sleep in the upper portion of the vivarium and feed on the ground. Dendrobates auratus  love to climb and will often sleep in higher portions of the vivarium.  For this reason, provide plants, driftwood, and a background that the frogs can climb.
Average age in terrarium:  14 - 17 years
Behavior - outgoing or reclusive:   Very shy to outgoing.  It seems that high humidity and numerous hiding spots will encourage auratus to become more bold.  

Feeding
Wingless fruitflies are preferred..you can substitute with small crickets...When feeding dust the insects with minerals and vitamin supplements.Probably the best combination, are the products, Rep-Cal and Herptivite.

Dart-Frog set-up info can be found...

here.

The only Breeder I like is the people at Saurian.net

Go Here for info and purchase...

Spec,

The best place I can think of to get a D. Auratus is at a show or expo. You can usually find a "typical" Auratus for $35 full grown or $25 for a sub-abult. Dealers will usually take $5 off the price if you're a kid. They did for me anyway. The upside of getting frogs from a show is that you can inspect the frogs and you save money on shipping. The downside is that you may have trouble finding anything other than the most common species/forms, especially if you get there late.

You might find what you want here--------------------------
International Reptile Breeders Association
October 18 & 19, 2003, San Diego Concourse, 202 "C" Street, San Diego, CA. 92101 (Largest Show on the West Coast)

You do live near San Diego? Don't you?

Mike

P.S. Have fun with dart frogs, they're just as addictive as Cp's but cost 4X as much.

hehe, 4x more money indeed! just looked at a large vivarium construction page, it looked pretty expensive.

No, I'm not that close to san deigo, i am in central coast of california, san deigo is at the southern tip. almost a whole days drive.
wow.gif
are there any others, like in san fransisco?

The only other thing I could find is in LA.

International Reptile Breeders Association
December 13 & 14, 2003, Los Angeles Co. Fair Grounds Pomona Fairplex Pomona, Ca 91768

Sorry I couldn't find anything closer. But doesn't it seem weird that there are only a couple herp shows per year in the entire state of california. Where as in Maryland, there's practically one each month.
confused.gif
Strange.....

Mike

I talked to zach a few days ago. he says there is a herp show every few month in san fransisco he goes to.
biggrin.gif
I'll have to check it out

Awesome! Good luck with your frogs and remember to post pics when you get then.

Mike
smile.gif

hope you pick a cool morph of D. Auratus, if you don't want a shy type, you should try the D. Leucs, they are bueatiful, bold frogs, that have a bueatiful call. You should check out some more morphs, people recommend to start off with D. Auratus and D. Leucs, but having conversation with many people I'm starting off with D. Imitators and D. Azuerus, they are very pretty and I just think they are fabolous creatures =D. HTH

Auratus tend to be less shy in a more humid environment...so I would suggest hooking a humidifier up to the viv on an automatic timer or something to keep it nice and damp for them.

It depends on the morph to how shy they are IMO. I have Costa Ricans green and black auratus and they aren't shy at all.They even come to the side of the tank I'm on at feeding time. I have some kahlua and cream auratus that are shy but if I sit in front of the tank after I feed them they come out but they sure hate sudden movements,they will hide as soon as I get up.Any morph of auratus is a great frog to me
biggrin.gif

Mark W.

Back