What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

they have arrived.....................

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
Very nice! Was madagascarensis originally considered a synonym to baroni?

You can see why they are called thumbnails! About as big as most other frogs froglets.

On the sunlight, I'd definetly agree with that...it produces noticeable changes in fish colorwise, but its pretty incredible they require that to survive. If I was to receive a ~very~ hard crack on the head and turn into a reptile keeper I'd be keeping species that do not have a strict U.V requirement like some geckos. I hope we eventually find some live foods that allow us to not use supplements on the darts as that would make things much easier.

no they have always been 2 seperate species. the problem is the scientists ho describe them are not those who collect them for the pet trade so there has been confusion about whats been imported in the past. they look quite similar and are probably just subspecies but they are different enough that they are kept seperate in the hobby

M. madigascariensis
6cd91a51.jpg

M. baroni
500618.jpg

everything looks so cool, i wish i could afford dart frogs, maybe someday ill see them in a pet store for cheap, i like your evewrything room

Rattler I would bet the reason those guys over at the frog board get pissy when you sell those frogs cheap is because they are afraid you would take business from then and lower market price. The reason I say this is because I go to a ballpython board and there are some color porphs of ball pythons going for 25,000+ and the prices are staying that high since there are only a few breeders. Heck Albino ball pythons are still going for 1,200 for males and 1,800 for females. If someone with the capital buys snakes and starts breeding them to sell cheaper the big dealers will cutt you off and refuse to sell to you because you could ruin their gravy train. Granted these color morphs are developed by the breeders many time, but they are not that expenvice and shouldn't (in my opinion) be carrying those hefty prices. When I started a thread over there saying IF I have the money to buy a 25,000 snake I would sell the babies fro drasticly less, you should have seen the reaction. I got SLAMMED by a breeder that was real big on the site. Its because they want to keep the monopoly as long as they can and make as much as they can while the snakes are "rare" I can see the blue eyes lucy going for 100,000 since there are only a handfull of solid white ball pythons with blue eyes, but some of the others have been around long enough that they shouldnt be 8,000 snakes and such. Anyways I can go on and on about how I believe the breeders are trying to keep the prices high, but I think you get the idea.

BTW the frogs look awesome. I used to keep tree frogs. I would like to get into keeping darts once I get done with nursing school and buy a bigger house. Thanks for sharing!

you can get one species of dart frogs for like 20 bucks Is the cheepest Ive heard (D. azures or something like that?).

JB actually thats not right because i am THE ONLY PERSON offering CB M. laevigata for sale publicly in the USA at the moment. CB Mantellas are uncommon period. and actually i know the guys who were not pleased about the prices quite well and their main concern is getting CB Mantellas established in the hobby because WC arent going to be around in a few more years. infact the only other person i know who is putting together another group of WC laevi's wasnt concerned over what price i was selling them at. its not like i was giving them away. the 4 frogs were being sold for $25 apiece which is about what the WC prices are. since they are CB and rare very rare as CB they figure they should be about $50 a frog which is where the few other CB mantellas run at. though when you figure the trade i got a lil more per frog than what i would accepted in cash.

i fully believe that they were honest about their concerns over price, when the one individual found out who got them they didnt care what the price was as it was another person who is seriously interested in Mantellas. think of it along the lines of rare CP's my goal is the same with the frogs that they are eventually availible to anyone but the fact that the first few CB are going to ppl SERIOUSLY interested in working with them and not some kid who has been into frogs for a few months because frogs arent like plants, i cant divide or take cuttings, ive got to get offspring from them

as far as the ball pythons, your talking about an animal that takes several years to mature and have small clutches of eggs generally once a year. that in itself keep supply lower than demand. as far as frogs. D. imitator matures and starts breeding at 5 or 6 months out of water, once they start breeding you can pull a tadpole a week out of the tank and still these frogs are between $50 and $75 apiece. Mantella aurantiaca are the most commonly bred mantella species, these guys will dump 30 eggs at a time and do this quite often, however it takes quite a bit of effort to get these eggs to hatch out and to raise the tiny tadpoles which morph in to tiny froglets which take several moths worth of care before you can ship them, CB's of this species go for $55(i know where there are some for sale now)

the prices of Darts and CB mntells reflect the amount of EFFORT that goes into raising them. my laevis raised themselvesand i wanted to thin my collection quick so i offered them at a lower price and several other Mantella nuts were concerned my CB frogs would not be appreciated for what they were at that price. though they must be worth the $55 because an individual with CB Mantella aurantiaca wants to trade frog for frog for my CB laevi's when i have more
smile_n_32.gif

Hey,
I was just browsing through my photos, and I found this pic I took of a dart frog we saw in the wild in Costa Rica. Anyone know what kind it is?
Dartfrog_640x480.sized.jpg

Capslock

Dendrobates pumilio, there are TONS of color morphs of this species, some colored so different you wouldnt believe they are the same here is a different color morph/locale of the same species
img4616medium4eq.jpg

Thanks rattler that is good to know. Ball pythons on the other hand in my opinion is not the same I am afraid. Just from the conversations I have had with some people about it the short time I was there talking about the issue.

Back