What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The wake up

All of my VFT's are enjoying dormancy outside and they all seem to be in great shape (Just very ugly). But, I have a reason to wake one up and I was wondering if a VFT would die if it were awaken now. Also if I woke it up now whould it affect it's growth for next year?

-Rail

It would probably affect its growth, if you wake it up too early. Why are you in a rush to wake it up, they grow most of the year, let them sleep
smile_n_32.gif

I need one for a project in a few weeks and I cant use them if they are dormant and ugly. You think I could rip the rysome in half and only wake up half of it?

-Rail

You can wake it up, but don't expect it to be happy. How much do you like being woken up in the middle of a sound sleep to cold, unfriendly weather and inadequate food? (And by food I mean sunlight, not bugs.) Don't be surprised if the plant dies next year.
If you do wake one up, give it plenty of light and gradually warmer temperatures, to keep your plant energized and make sure it thinks that it's springtime. And keep an eye on it later in the season, as it will probably tire faster than your other plants and require an early dormancy next year. Also, treating with a little Superthrive might help.
Best luck,
~Joe

PS - Your plant will be weakened by coming out of dormancy early - I wouldn't count on it surviving being cut in half under those conditions. If it's for some project, I'd go get a hardware store rescue trap, nurse it back to health for a few weeks, and show that. Whatever you find in the store this time of year will already be out of sync for this year's dormancy, so it shouldn't matter.

Oh yeah. Thankes bro I'll do that.

-Rail

Back