What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the peat and sphagnum meanings

ok
peat moss is a way to describe of how it is, its dead moss that isnt decayed, sphagnum is the moss name
peat= undecayed dead plant matter
so if u say peat moss is different than dead chopped up sphagnum moss, then umm, its not
wink.gif
tounge.gif

Sorry BBB but peat moss IS different than chopped or milled or shredded sphagnum. Peat is the stuff that looks like brown sawdust. Spahgnum is the "star" and bushy stuff that usually comes in a large rectangular bag that says "Mosser-Lee" Long fiber sphagnum. Or whatever brand is in your area. Also Peat DOES NOT = undecayed plant matter. Peat does HAVE plant matter in it but isn;t just plant matter. Peat moss is decayed sphangum moss below the suface of the living moss. This then forms peat and inculded with the peat comes twigs,bark,plant matter,etc. Hope that clears stuff up.

My understanding is (in it's simplest form) sphagnum peat is decayed, composted sphagnum moss. I'm sure it's a little more complex than that but I think that's it in essence.
smile.gif

so no one disagrees with me..........
im glad we all agree
wink.gif

ok now hold on I know that peat is basically sphagnum but there has to be some sorta plant matter sine I find sticks in it every now and then from the scotts brand

Probably just from the trees old limbs that feel into the bog Shelly.
smile.gif

Back