What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The one nep terrarium

I just finished setting up a small new terrarium to house a single N. campanulata.  I thought I would post a picture of it here.  Like my large highland grow chamber this tank waters itself on a timer.

minitank.jpg

Matt
smile.gif

That's a 2.5 gal hex aquarium isn't?

Yes it is a 2.5 gallon hex tank.

Matt

Forgive my ignorance, but how do you set up a automatic watering with a timer?

Regards,

Joe

Use a cheap 10 pond pump, some flexible tubing and a cheap plug in timer set to run 15 minutes a day.

works for me

joe

Can one get a big pump with a tube in, say a trash can full of RO water, and use a cheap timer for auto watering to water from several spouts?

Joe

Hi Joe,

In my large grow chamber I have exactly what you described set up.  A large pump pumps water into a pvc pipe and from that pipe 15 small hoses are available to be attached to pots.  Works like a charm.

highlandtank.jpg

Matt

I use the same sort of system for my Darlingtonia, accept I have it outside and the pump is running 24/7. It works great!
Jack

hey i have a simple question, what type of lightbulb did you use for the 2.5 gal Hex terrarium?

I used a 35 watt circular fluorescent bulb that I mounted inside of a reflective metal hood.

Matt

Matt,

How often do you change out the water in your terrarium? I'm thinking of rigging something like that up for a vacation I'm taking next week. (11 days)

Capslock

Frozen water bottles filled with distilled water works for me
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

You can even freeze tap water just dont get the ice into the soil.
biggrin.gif

Back