What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The N. clipeata Topic

Clue

clippity-clip-clip
Nepenthes clipeata growers! Get over here!

I think that I've found something out of research of my favorite Nepenthes species: IDENTIFICATION!

Here is some-what of a weak key, agree with me if you please, but this is how I identify N. clipeata:

Nepenthes clipeata x eymae
These are all seed-grown plants, most looking eh- at the most, fairly similar to the true N. clipeata. Here are some of the most distinguishing traits.
Leaves: See the picture at the bottom. The tendril drops off the end of the leaf, which is not something N. clipeata does!
Wings: Present. On the true species, wings are totally absent after the plant reaches maturity.
Coloration: The pitchers are usually pale, similar to the true species. However, on the true species, there are no speckles or spots present on pitchers. The spots are a trait inherited from the male parent, N. eymae.
Growth: Has “hybrid vigor”. See below.

Nepenthes clipeata x (clipeata x eymae)
These are, again, seed-grown plants, looking very, very similar to the true N. clipeata. Some of the most distinguishing traits are below.
Leaves: The insertation of the tendril is not as extremely petalate as the true species.
Coloration: The hybrid has pale pitchers, similar to the species, but they have spots, a trait inherited from N. eymae.
Growth: Supposedly has “hybrid vigor” displayed. Hybrid vigor is supposedly enhanced growth that makes a plant:
A) Grow faster
B) Be more resistant to disease
C) Have stronger growth
D) All of the above

Back