What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great White North...

*Barracuda_45*

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama
smile.gif
Ok so we had a super wonderful Thanksgiving, tons food, lots fun with the kids even though there grown now and we are all hunkerd down safely in the woods high on this hill durring this crazy winter times.
We have been enduring a winter blizard storm now for 2 days and also one day befour that of just moderate snow. For 2 days now its been zero visabilaty/white out, with high winds, snow non stop and temps that really droped quickly the teens to zero with the wind chill factor. JR went out and snowblowed our 2 track drive way the best he could, till he just couldnt see or breath anymore. We herd these conditions are supose to lastanother day then just have lake effect snows off and on. Yes we are very use to this sort thing durring winter as we are in the snowblet area. Has anyone else been getting blasted with this storm?? I belive it was headed the NY way..
smile_l_32.gif

I know Oswego NY got blasted with at least a foot of snow.

It was so warm here today I had the back door open. Tomorrow is supposed to be chilly but then its warming up to the 60s for the coming week. Normally I'd be rather disappointed because I LOVE snow. But this year with all the dire predictions about the cost of natural gas for heat, I'm relieved. I have yet to cut my heat on. Its been a little chilly in the house some nights but mostly its been tolerable.

We had 3", just enough to shovel, and my mother-in-law on the northern border of VT was expecting a lot more than that. But I just finished talking with my brother-in-law in Seattle and he said WA's Mt. Baker averages 50+ ft of snow every winter and had ~100 ft one year. They win.

i wish it was snowing here..

and to think... I lived for 4 years in about 20 mines from Oswego lake... we had like 7' snow in winters though
smile.gif

No snow in NYC yet.

Well up here in Canada it's been -20 Celsius and snowing for the last 2 days. Same conditions as above with the whiteouts.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i wish it was snowing here..
I'd gladly trade for somewhere warm anyday

Barracuda_45, your story about the blizzard brought back memories.
I live in nice warm sunny San Diego, Ca., home of the Chargers
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

I am originally from Detroit, Mich, where the Lions got beat real bad today, again.
mad.gif

Back in '78 my parents went to Las Vegas and left my older sister and I behind (real nice parents). Anyways, while they were out in Vegas, we had a real bad blizzard up there that lasted like 5 or 6 days with temps down in the -20 range. Snow up to the roof. The power and gas went out and we had no heat or nuthin. Lucky for my sister and I, I had a friend that lived on the next street over. He invited us to stay there until the power came back on. Their house had a fireplace and a huge pile of wood out back. We just sat there all bundled up in sleeping bags and piles of blankets by the fireplace for 4 or 5 days. A week later my parents came back from their trip and learned of our ordeal. They never knew about the blizzard until they returned.
I have been contemplating moving back to Detroit, I kinda miss the snow, and the affordable cost of living, unlike here.

smile.gif
Wow CNCreefer, thats some ordeal you went thru when you was younger with your sis, yes Michigan is very cheap and affordable when it comes to housing and living. Although you were from Detroit which is alittle more costly than where im at and yes they have some pretty bad times durring winter down there its not like where we live, it can be sunny and 60% in Detroit and up here 40 and nasty out. We cant stand city life and all the hussle and bussle that goes with it we live in the woods far back in off the main highway road no city or anything which we love it here dearly and would never go back to city life no matter what yes we do have to put up with some very awful winters and some crazy summer weather as well but i wouldnt change it for the world. JR and i ever get rich enough we plan on moving further up the the UP in a even more remotely wooded area with NOOOOOOOOO neighbors..
smile_m_32.gif
Even though i hate winter the snow is absolutely breath taking in the woods and besides i hibernate durring winter. LOL!! The summers can be very very beautiful up here and fall with the pretty colors...

We had between 1 & 2 inches here... But it sure got COLD last night. Woke up and it was 18. EIGHTEEN! Little early for those temps....Sure hope it doesn't herald the winter to come....

Wow, I havent seen snow here in years. I thought I was gonna freeze to death when it got into the 30's a few weeks ago. I'm so used to it being in the 100's, well I envy you guys that even get to see snow.

-Rail

I just can't resist posting this.

Just the same old weather down here.  Mostly  sunny, visibility unlimited.  High temp 82...low 70.  Winds out of the east at 5 to 10 knots, seas 1 to 2 feet.

The_beach.jpg

mad.gif
Hope you forget the suncreen
mad.gif
J/K  That's not you laying on the beach chair, is it Lauderdale?
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Those poor people - not a snow shovel in sight.

>;-D Alright Lauderdale thats not fair at all, i was born in Hollywood and raised in Ft. Lauderdale.. I sooooooooooooooooo miss Florida.. Im sending some cold weather and snow flurries your way...
smile_m_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Naw, that is not me in the lounge chair.  However, the classy redhead reading the book is my next door neighbor.

Nooooo snow Cuda.  I would hate to see the Gulfstream freeze over.
We had a cold snap last week, I had to dig out a sweater.  It got down to 59 here on the coast but it was a very comfortable 75 by noon.

Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack this post, so you guys keep on talkin' bout that snow and cold weather.

Gotta admit, the weather is beautiful there, Lauderdale. However, I am sad for you as you will NEVER know the joys of living where wind chills drop to -75 degrees F. Where occasionally you have to dig out of your house to survive Ole Man Winter. The fact you do not own a snow shovel, brings me to tears knowing the exercise and Zen-like condition of shoveling snow will never be known by you. All that warmth you experience in Florida will KILL you in the frozen North. Ask any Montana man, be it Rattler, Brian W., or Bugweed. We all know the "joy".

My wife's parents divorced many years ago.  The father-in-law is south of Tampa and the mother-in-law is on the Canadian border in Vermont.  I used to wonder what drove them apart, but perhaps one of them doesn't appreciate the "Zen-like condition of shoveling snow."  Maybe Lauderdale can recapture the bliss by pushing sand off the beach as the waves deliver more.

GOOD IDEA, Bruce! Lauderdale can not only know the "joy" of moving that which will return anyway, but experience the Zen of Futility that comes with the experience. Now you can know, Lauderdale!

While I was in college, back in '77, Watertown, NY got 48" of snow in one day. In January of '78, in Plattsburgh, NY we had 21 consecutive days whereby the temp never got above 32.

Back