What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The great fire

This bog is to be burned to the ground this coming Monday.
I'll be there to get some pics and I'll post some of them for all to see.

Alan

salawint.jpg

burned! is that normal in there?
great pic still!
wink.gif

Should be an outbreak of pitchers in the spring.
smile.gif

kool i'll bring the hotdogs and we can roast them over the open flames

Hope the weather holds for the burn.  Would love to be there this spring when the new pitchers & dews come out
wow.gif

biggrin.gif
!
yl2jump.gif

I wonder if that would be considered saving the plant? You might be able to save a couple, as I'm pretty sure they'll burn up. That's the lawful way to do it, I believe.

This is all meant for the plants benifit ragnarok.
wink.gif
Bog burnings are the best thing for sarracenia,drosera,etc species. The rhizomes and crowns make it but the weeds,shrubs and stuff are killed or severly knocked back away from the bog and gives the bog a "rejuvinated" life.

Burning bogs keeps the competing vegetation at bay and will result in a 'garden' of Sarraceniaas etc. I only wish they did not discourage it in Florida and elsewhere..

Oh, I didn't know. Let it be then, and may the Sarracenia population flourish
smile.gif

hey Mike,
i'm all for it here in Fl. heck Tarkiln Bayou is one for shore that needs it. wouldn't take much to start it eather with the fuel floating around in the water.

the other places really isn't that bad at all w/ the weeds. that i know of but, if there is a sight that the weeds are over crowding the population i say torch it.

hey where is Pyro he will have a blast with this topic

This place should be lush and green around mid-March with lots of picherlets and blossoms coming up from the ground and ashes. I believe that the carbon left over from the burnt foliage is beneficial to new plant growth as well.
Burning is beneficial as NG and Mike said as there is a lot of overgrowth in the bog that the Sarracenias have to compete with for growing space.
We have started re-establishing some spaghnum colonies and in March will be getting some Pink Sundews (D. capillaris) established on the outer edges where they won't be shaded by larger plants.
My plan is to get photos of the bog once about every 3 or 4 weeks from the burn till the time it goes back into dormancy in December. Then I will have a visual time line throughout a year in the life of a bog.

BTW George-CP, I'll bring the marshmallows! heheheyumyum

wondering how the burn went today

George-CP, it went great! The fire wasn't as intense in most areas as I had expected, but then the overgrowth was a little damp from a wet night before.
In the next day or two I'll have the pics on my webpage so everyone who wants to see them can.

Back