What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Great Experiment

I know this is an old thread but seeing as a couple years have passed are there any updates?

How much milk and or egg white do you put into the pitcher?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 20 2004,4:10)]How much milk and or egg white do you put into the pitcher?
Fill the baby up half way! (milk)

couldn't that rot the pitcher though?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ May 20 2004,10:04)]couldn't that rot the pitcher though?
Using egg white usually does, but milk rarely rots them

Halfway!!!!
rock.gif

Wow! I would have thought a few drops.

Regards,

Joe

Spec, I think half way might be overdoing it a bit. Though you can certainly put more than just a few drops in the larger pitchers. I usually put a few drops in small pitchers, but I've had them big enough (20") for a teaspoon.

No, halfway is fine
biggrin.gif
I've never had a pitcher rot from it!

OK how many pitchers would you reccomend me filling up for a Darlingtonia?Would it be ok to put a little milk in all the pitchers?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ALLOSAURZ @ May 21 2004,4:48)]OK how many pitchers would you reccomend me filling up for a Darlingtonia?Would it be ok to put a little milk in all the pitchers?
For darlingtonia? NONONONONOOO!!
wow.gif
Sure, my sarrs and heliamphoras liked it, but <span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>MY</span> (to protect my self from peckers) Darlingtonia doesnt benifit at all from it... May even be why They didn't come back form dormancy this year
rock.gif

Hmm Well I filled up about 2 pitchers halfway with a slightly diluted milk. I have however rinsed them out with distilled water. Good thing I have extra...

So which is better - milk or egg whites?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 22 2004,2:45)]So which is better - milk or egg whites?
Milk. Egg white molds too easily, and smells bad

How about eggnog, minus the sugar and spices?
tounge.gif

What about S. Purpurea? How many pitchers should I put milk in? I am starting off with one for starters. Would it be ok to put it in any other pitchers?

SO how many pitchers do I put milk in for My S. Purpurea?

Feed just one pitcher, ALLOSAURZ. I feed a different pitcher each time to avoid overfeeding a single pitcher. If I can remember which one I fed last LOL.

smile.gif
BCK

[b said:
Quote[/b] (eplants02 @ July 25 2002,11:14)]Has anybody tested with whole milk?
I've tested with Magnolia fresh milk, don't seem to have any effect, but maybe thats just cuz I fed way toooo little (a drop or 2)

I guess it CAN help, milk is fed to organisms with don't have a fully developed digestive system yet (ie. babies and pitcher plants)
smile_m_32.gif

Hmmm, maybe I should try chocolate milk, might appeal to the neps' uhmm...tastebuds
smile_l_32.gif

I once heard that if you get the milk on the sides of the pitcher, it'll rot and go half 'dead', don't know whether through or not, but that's another experiment for you all...my neps are precious to me, hey my smiley box just changed to the new one, last time I could only use the new ones with quotes or emails...
smile.gif

Wow after a week a sprout has become almost fully grown and another bit of growth has shot up out of hte ground like a rocket. Considering the plant already had one pitcher. This is all in one week though. THe cobra plant I fed did get one new pitcher however one of the pitchers I put the milk in was slowly starting to die. Milk + Darlingtonia=dead pitcher. The rest of the plant still looks healthy though.

Back