What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The freezing temps appears to have killed my Nepenthes Ventricosa

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
As some of you know, Florida was hit by a freak wave of freezing weather. Now as the weather is warming up, the damage can be seen.

It appears my Nepenthes Ventricosa will kick the bucket. The growing point and most of the leaves are now brown. However, the Nepenthes Singalana and Khanasi are still alive.

Drosera Adelae appears to have survived, but I have cuttings of that just in case.

I also don't think my Pinguicula Lutea will make it either, but the Primuiflora still looks good. All the Mexican Pinguicula (Esseriana, Agnata, and Pirouette) survived.

Not to mention most of the grass in my neighborhood is now brown.

you left it outside didnt you....

I woouldn't be surprised SK, Wolfn, maybe consider growing indoors, so you have more control over conditions.

the only neps that can take the 30s well are villosa and lamii. and potentially khasiana since its insanely cold resistant...im sorry but you should have known that neps cant take those temps.

Odd, my N. x ventrata seems to be fine. But then again, it's a large, stable plant, so I would have to imagine that it would be more resistant. I'm sorry for your loss. :<

ahhh you warm climate folk.... Silly silly. Too bad though man, I can hardly keep my ventricosa alive inside! Hope the rest of your plants make it.

what i dont get is the low temps in Florida werent a surprise......yeah i know it aint supposed to get that cold but is not like it did so with no warning, they were talking bout the temps going to drop on the news before it did.....bring the damn plants inside......this isnt brain surgery

ahhh you warm climate folk.... Silly silly. Too bad though man, I can hardly keep my ventricosa alive inside! Hope the rest of your plants make it.

Hehe, I would rather live in a warm climate than a cold climate any day! :p

what i dont get is the low temps in Florida werent a surprise......yeah i know it aint supposed to get that cold but is not like it did so with no warning, they were talking bout the temps going to drop on the news before it did.....bring the damn plants inside......this isnt brain surgery

This is actually very true. Seeing that the temperature was so much lower than usual, they did give warnings and talked about it before the cold front came.

Maybe you could take some cuttings of your vent... it may have some live dormant nodes.

By the way, it's sort of odd that the lutea did not survive while the prim did... I thought lutea was more cold tolerant.

Oh, and about the singalana and khasina, It's not horribly surprising that they survived. The khasina is one of the most cold tolerant neps, while singalana is an ultra highlander (or highlander, depending on who you ask, and fairly tolerant). That's the good thing about having highlanders.

I actually wish there was cold(er) weather around my parts a little more... all I can grow here are lowlanders.

keep an eye out. watch for basals.

Ow, some of you guys are outright brutal in here, haha.

Yeah, I wouldn't give up yet. It might send up basals (aka new stems) depending on if the roots survived or not.

Hehe, I would rather live in a warm climate than a cold climate any day! :p

This is actually very true. Seeing that the temperature was so much lower than usual, they did give warnings and talked about it before the cold front came.

Me too! But that's my point. I have a lot of family in Southern California, and when it gets chilly its as if the world is ending. Sometimes you just have to remind them that they are still unfortunately, not anywhere near the equator. :p

Ok, I checked my plants this afternoon. My large Nepenthes Ventrata that I bought from Lowes is completely dead (the entire plant is brown and I don't think it will send up any shoots). However, I think that my Ventricosa still has a chance. It appears to have brown patches all over the leaves and on some of the new leaves, but it's still green in some parts (unlike my Ventrata which is as dead as a doornail).

Worst case scenario: the plants die and I buy a new Ventrata and/or Ventricosa from FlyTrapShop.

Just because your plant is brown doesnt mean it is completely dead. I have had plants with no leaves or growth tip and completely brown stem come back from the roots after 6 or more months. Yes it takes patience and stable conditions but it is possible. I dont throw a plant out unless it's turned to mush. If your ventricosa made it I'm sure the ventrata can pull through. Next time you get a week's heads up that it's gonna be that cold though...bring them in.

Okay, I just took some pictures a few minutes ago.

Here's my poor Nepenthes Ventrata. Any chance of this coming back?
DeadNepenthes1.jpg

And here is my Nepenthes Ventricosa, Khanasi, and Singalana. Thoughts?
SickNepenthes2.jpg

ouch...

doesn't look good my friend.

its probably better to keep them in a shoebox under your bed for a week than leaving them outdoors in those kinds of elements...

but anyways theres always a chance... just give it proper conditions like you would if it weren't so... dead looking.. you'd be suprised what comes back to life sometimes.

I would definitely say that the ventricosa, khasiana, and singlana will make it. Not so sure about the ventrata. Now that the cold has settled, my ventrata just now started to look all dead, but it'll be fine over time...

I would say that as long as the vine is green, there's a chance of survival.

Why are they in the same pot?? :scratch:
Each of those looks large enough to get it's own pot & medium.

I've seen worst, just treat it properly like any other Nep and wait. That's your best bet honestly. Being easy growers as they are they may come back. If they turn to mush though... RIP

Back