What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THe flower and using it to reproduce

• Thread starter bsmith201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    flower vft
B

bsmith201

When does the VFT flower, and is it ok to chop it off, i heard it takes a lot of energy. + is it true there is a way to use it as a seed to make other VFT.

Hi bsmith201 and welcome to the forums.
biggrin.gif

VFTs usually bloom in the spring.  Most people cut the flower stalk off as soon as it is long enough to reach, as it does take energy away from the plant.  If you let the flowers go the least that will happen is your plant will slow down a little on new leaf production at worst they could weaken it to the point it dies.  The last is not very likely if you have a healthy established plant.
 I'm not sure what you mean by using the flower (stalk?) as a seed unless you mean as a cutting, like a leaf cutting.  I don't know if the stalk can be used as a cutting, but there's nothing lost by trying.  There are a couple members on the forum who have had small plantlets sprout from the flower stalk as it bloomed.
biggrin.gif
   I'll post the links if I can find the topics again (and no one else beets me to it).

and if you meant can you get seed from the flower, of course, why else wud it flower
tounge.gif
IT LOVES u (at least wutever ur doing to it)
smile.gif

Back