What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The color of evil is yellow

G

Well, I've identified the pests in my collection as being yellow and tiny. I'm sure they are doing most of the damage, but I'm not sure if they are the ones making webs on some of my plants. Hopefuly, I'll be getting Ortho's bug be gone, and eradicate whatever it is.

make shore you spray them realy good or they will be back. hope you not scared of them

Now I'm curious. The things that usually make webs in greenhouses are red or orange. Tell me, are the yellow things super duper small? Do they run around fast? Are there several different sizes of them?

You've had me wondering several days whether they were aphids or preditory mites or something else.

Are you getting actual damage to your plants or just tiny cobwebs in the soil and on the pitchers?
I had fungus gnats (tinier than fruitflies and they make little cobwebs) in my highland chamber for a while but they don't actually hurt anything (that I know of) but I didn't want them living in there either so I put a big sundew in there and that pretty much cured it.

In the most severe cases, leaves were deformed and spotted, with poor growth. Plants showing theese symptoms had the yellow, sluggish, things that are smaller than fruit flies. Plants with webbing on them show signs of poor growth and leaf problems. I also found little gray, fast moving bugs in one of my newly repotted N. x Judith Finn. Wether it's ten, or one pest, I'm hoping the stuff will work. I hope I'll get it today. Oh, and all of my plants show the presence of the yellow things.

I would definatley try someting a little more mild than Bug B Gone
something like an insecticidal soap.
Soaps or more correctly refered to as salts are much safer for you and your plants not to mention the environment.
Safer brand insecticidal soap is available from Home Depot in the US its sold in a green spray bottle.IMO

Peace
biggrin.gif

i would really check the new plants that you got. you never know something might of slipped in with them and spread really fast to the rest of them.

Can I use Schultz insect spray? I just got some, and want to use it tonight.

I've used Schultz-Instant House Plant and Garden Insect Spray. It's made with Pyrethrins. If this is what you have then it is OK to use if you follow the directions on the lable. Be careful with this stuff. Some people tend to think that because pyrethrin comes from flowers it won't hurt them. Treat this with the same care and caution you would any other bug spray.

I just used it, and the little b******* died within seconds? I gave each plant a lot of the stuff (they were driping), so is that all I have to do?

if i was u i would spray them down with r/o now. since you sad u sprayed them down to where they where dripping. i would kee the stuff on there for 2 long.

If they were small, sluggish and yellow, were they aphids? The pyrethroid cocktails are pretty powerfull, but not to mammals. You should give the plants a few days, then check again. I doubt you'll need to spray again.

But if you see more, get them I.D.ed at the County Ag commisioner's office or somewhere, then maybe myself or someone else can recommend something that will work.

It may be Alaska native though. Thanks for your help guys
smile.gif

They almost sound like spider mites.

Back