What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THE CLUMPS

When I see pictures of what I think are Blue Ribbon VFT'S they are almost invariably clumped together.

I had a nursuryman (correct term?) tell me that VFT'S enjoy being clumped together loosely; that it helps their root system by each system keeping the soil broken up for the other. Also, I think that you get plants together; the combined 'transpiration' helps with humidity.

Any thoughts?

Hmm....well my VFT "Hertodoxa" is a mound of leaves right now with about 3-5 growing point on it. I and going to cut off 2 of the growing point next year as it is VERY tighly compacted. But I do see why the nursury man said that as more roots does equal a healthier plant and it certanily should win a blue medal for the amount of traps on it.
smile.gif

I think I agree. I'd probably agree more if I knew what Hertodoxa means.

Heterodoxa is the VFT that is all green with a rossette of leave that hug the ground year round Wesly.
smile.gif

wow, you learn something new every day here... so if a plant starts to devide itself into multiple rosets it's consitered to be one plant with multipull growth points? Is that correct? It's only seporet clones if you pull appart the rossets? Did I get that right? If so my plant has 1.5 growth ponts, lol (yup, 1.5 rossests)

If the plant has one big rhizome with a few growing points, then it is one plant. But you don't know that unless you dig it out (recommended during dormancy only&#33
wink.gif

Some VFTs have very short petioles anyway, I don't think it has anything to do with the growing conditions or what their roots are like.

Let me add that VFT's get nothing from the soil other than water.

You cannot fertilize ( that is why it catches bugs )
No minerals help out the plant ( ie bugs )

So basically the plant uses the roots as an anchor in the ground.

I have found that VFT's do not like to be in a huge pot. All of my collection are in smaller pots and they thrive, producing more traps that are larger than other plants in bigger pots.

To me, it is almost like if they have the room, and they will grow roots instead. If they havnen't the room, then they will focus on traps ( just like Sarracenia )

The heterodoxa VFT is lacking a chemical ( can't spell it
smile.gif
) that would produce the red. So without it, it cannot produce the 'red traps'.

Anthocynanin is the red pigment I think!

I tend to grow VFTs in two sizes of pots, 3" for the small ones and 5" for the biggies.

I am thinking having more room triggers the plant to increase it's risome and start breaking into new plants so basiclly it's like flowering, it focusses on reproduction rather then it's own health. I need to replant mine, it's pulled it'self to one side of the pot and well it just doesn't seem to fit anymore.

I would wait to replant in the spring

The plant will go into shock and I wouldn't disturb it during its growing season ( my opinion )

Alvin,

That is it!! Thanks so much. I forgot how to spell it and I didn't want to give out the wrong desert
smile.gif
!

unless the plant is out of cycle like many are. If it's cycle is out of wack you can replant, can you take a picture to post? They look differnt in winter and summer so we should be able to tell
smile.gif

Okay, Y'all,

Boy, I learned alot here.

So what I'm seeing in these fine pictures are more than
likely a single rhyzome that have divided one or more times,
and not single plants planted closely together.

When you say they grow more and larger traps in smaller
pots, do you mean 4-5" plastic that are approx. 4 inches deep for a mature plant?

I hate complicated names too Jaie! I realised today that I had spelt catesbaei wrong on about four of my sarra hybrid labels and they will need rewriting!

Sorry, I was talking about diameter of pots Goldslinger.

Sometimes the rhizome can stay as one and have multiple growing points, whereas at other times it can physically divide. You won't know until you dig it out though and you can repot the individual plants if you find that that is what you have and that's what you want to do.

Back