What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The chicks are hatching yah!

well, before all our roosters got eaten by an animal
sad.gif
  put a dozen eggs in the incubator and today 8 have started to hatch! and 1 is already hatched its sooo cute! it is yellow like cornsilk, tiny but strong and its so eggciting weve never hatched out our own eggs before realy i can't wait to see what it turns into! hurray for chickens! woo hoo! yipee yeah!

Oh chicken what breed is it? I incubated some Rhode Island Red eggs. It was fun. Out of 2 dozen 21 hatched, but 2 didn't make it out of the 21, but it was 19 well happy chicks. RHode Islands are my favorite =D.

well the hen is a buff orpington and the roo most likely a polish so theyll probably be heavey set with a "hair dooo" .oh,and by the way how can i post a pic of it?

Wow you're both lucky!! When we tried to hatch some of our new hamps we only got about 7 chicks out of 40 eggs! So either the roosters weren't doing their job or our incubator was messed up. What kind of incubator do you two have??

-buckeye

cool , everytime i incubated eggs , the ones that never make it explode in the incubator and its really messy and stinky and the smells never goes away . but the eggs that do hatch it get ti think that there life stinks . the theing that suck the most is that when the chicks grow up to be mature bird , they get eaten 1 by 1 , i use to have a dozen chickens of all sorts , not i only have 2 .
sad.gif
, good luck .

now 7 have hatched and 4 more are hatching! the incubator i use is a litle giant with a computer fan i salvaged off an old broken converter fo 50 cents! i hooked that up to my game boy recharger and i leave both vents open all the time and did not add any water to tray until they started hatching (you want to aim for 40% humidity for incubateing and 60% for hatching) they all look exactly the same (the chicks)! oh,and gold trap dont be too hard on yourself about the chickens being eaten by preditors same thing hapens to me(just lost 6 roos in fact
sad.gif
).

Here is a pic of some of the hatch. Looks like a 100% hatch rate (other than the one double yolker we set, but that was not expected to hatch as they do not have enough nutritional support for the chicks, it probably met its demise at day 1
alien.gif

chick_8_27_003.jpg

DumbCluck (pond boy's mother)

Thank-you for sharing in his excitement!

Hi DumbCluck, Pond Boys Mom
smile.gif

Thanks for posting the pic...they are so cute! (I used to have baby ducks so I'm rather fond of poultry.)

Congrats on all the hatchlings.
biggrin.gif

Suzanne

i asked her to post the pics what type of ducks did you raise?

Nice chicks n' pics! Im having chicken tonight btw...lol,
Kevin

Darn,2 of them got eaten by snakes as well as our last silky darn.

keep them very clean bcuz my uncle had 15 then now only 1

Back