What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The burk

Demi, that's somewhat confusing to me. I had the impression you where quite new to nepenthes - and nor Exotic Gardens nor Tony Paroubek had plants complying your desires? What special features are you looking for?

Joachim

Ha! Good one Joachim! Tony not having anything to any Nepenthes lover's desires is such a good joke. Ha when I walked into Tony's G-house I just *gasp* I mean ALL of his plants are in desire for me!
biggrin.gif
I mean who wouldn't be in desire for Nepenthes when your a big time fan! Even some of his common plants were unbelivable! The one common VFT he has is HUGE! My guess it has 3 inch traps on it. No joking. But anyhow good joke Joachim.
smile.gif

Well he did mention he was looking for large plants. Which are harder to find in the US. I am trying to grow some up to larger sizes... This takes alot of time and also a lot of investment to hold stock back from sale. On the rare/uncommon stuff plants sell out before they reach large sizes because of limited availability.

Tony

Joachim, why is that. I've been growing nepenthes for about a year( I'm not that old you know) with great succes. As for Tony's plants, the ones he has for sale are only, on average, 5 in. in diameter. But I say if you find a large plant that you really want, but is expensive, go for it!

Sorry Demi, I didn't want to offend you I was just curious.

Joachim

Yes, but don't you want the pleasure and fun to grow a Nep from a small plant to a large mature sized specimen? That's what I am hoping to accomplish with my Rajah. That is my main goal in growing Ultrahighlands right now, Grow N.Rajah large and conquer the other Ultrahighlands. But yes, I do see your point that you've only been into Neps for a year and want a few large plants to show off.
wink.gif

Wow...

those prices are about as high as I have seen.

Kim

lets hope that the plants are bigger than the pots ;-)

I paid for my N. hamata about 100 $ and you can get them a lot cheaper now....

Martin

Mr. NG, it seems as if I don't get anywhere with smaller plants. I vividly remember how I tortured one nepenthes with decorative moss, high and low temps., low humidity, hard water in a rusty pan, and decapitation( growing point from ruits). My point is, I don't have the best of luck with smaller plants, but my success lies within near mature plants. You may be into those years of maturing, but I'm about starting big, and getting bigger
smile.gif
. Besides, I'll be getting a lot of other, smaller specimens and species this summer, and that's because I can't find any of a larger size.
Joachim, that's all right. I wasn't really offended. Just wanted to let you know I'm not a complete novice when it comes to nepenthes.
Like I said, the plants are about 13 inches tall, so I think it's somewhat worth it considering my other options. Does anyone want me to buy them a plant from there?

OK, I'll try to make my point - you may know english is not my mother language living in Germany and so some misjudging on my side or errors in the postings I write do occur. And I guess some points I don't fully understand are simply an "american/texas thing".

First of all I won't recommend for or against buying plants from the source you want to buy - I haven't seen those plants in real to judge the prices and quality they offer.

Well I'll try to explain my german/european attitude to dealers: If the quality meets my requirements, business runs smoothly and I have the impression the dealer is not only after my money but does really want me growing those plants well helping me with all the problems I will for sure run into at one point - I'll go for him. Even when prices may be higher at a first sight than from others and plants may be smaller than I want them to be - this dealer will help me to grow them big it is just a matter of time. And patience is one of the most important factors growing plants - a year is not a long time for plant...

So Exotic Gardens created this place starting off a great community for us plants freaks - I would go for their plants trying to pay a little of that back what they did and still do for me (I do really like this place :) And for plants they can't supply I would go for this great guy answering all the questions and giving tons of tips here in the forum - this service you can't measure in money... (Even stumbling across the banner on his home page. I guess it must be an american thing. You won't see such things here in germany at all.)

Well that's just my point of view and I don't want to say its the right way to go and won't argue against people having other attitudes or points of view. And hopefully I didn't annoy anyone.

Back to plants: When you do have problems with smaller plants conditions are not suited for them. Bigger ones may survive this due to their size - but the conditions are still not suited for them. From my point of view creating the right environment - or what you believe it is - is the first step to grow Nepenthes successfully. And the way to go is in my mind to set up a terrarium. As windowsill plant only the most hardy ones will survive under typical inhouse conditions...

Good growing!

Joachim

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">As windowsill plant only the most hardy ones will survive under typical inhouse conditions[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> Such as N.Truncata,N.Ventricosa,N.Khasiana,N.Alata "highland" and a few others.  
wink.gif

Demi, All I was saying was TRY to grow a few small plants, N.Gracilis will surprize you even as a cutting! It will soon get large and impress you, smae for N.Tobaica and a few others.

I see what your saying
smile.gif

Joachim I just wanted to let you know that you haven't annoyed me, and your attitude is not just for Europeans
smile.gif
I think it is a very good attitude and one we should all have.

The company I work for (nothing to do with plants) is probably the most expensive one doing this kind of business. But, even though we have about 20 to 30 competitors selling similar products for cheaper prices, we ALWAYS have the most people on our cruises. Our service, insurance, follow up if there are problems etc is quite famous on this island, and that's how we "win". If you are in business for the long term (not just trying to make a quick couple of &#036
wink.gif
I believe that is the ONLY way to be!!

Cheers, Troy.

Back