What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The bag method

Howdy,

I have never used the bag method acclimatising my new neps and because if this have lost a couple and had some take ages to recover before regrowing well again. I have a Rajah, Raff and Burb on the way and was going to use the bag method but I don't how to do it properly what bags do I use? How big? do I cover the whole plant and pot? how often do I open it up?
When can i take the bag off completely

Thanks

Reggie

I use this depending on which nursery I get the plant from. Some take the time to acclimate their plants to lower humidity, while others just bag em' up right out of the shipment. The ones that acclimatize/harden off their plants before shipping usually say so on their webpage, and this can also be reflected in the price, but there's a much lower risk of you getting one that dies shortly after you get it.

Anyways, that's neither here nor there. I grow all my plants on a grow rack that is completely open to the standard home humidity. If I get a plant that I know isn't prepared for this, I will use the bag method. I'll cover the entire plant and top of the pot with a baggie, and cut a hole in one corner. Every couple days I'll make the whole a little bigger, for about a month, until there's not enough bag to even hold itself together. It's pretty simple, but let me know if you have any more questions. It works well, but sometimes isn't necessary.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

BTW, I have Burbidgeae and Rafflesiana. They actually sit right next to each other on the grow rack.

I used the bag method for my hamata I received from AW. I just used a zip lock baggie with the sliding lock. I put the bag over the top of the pot and zipped it up until it was tight. Then after a week, I just snipped the corner off and every week afterwards I snipped a little more. Took about a month and a half to fully remove the bag.

Back