What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

that almost hurt.........

the wife and i went to the Ducks Unlimited banquet last night......they usually comp us a $50 couples ticket for the paper covering it.....so we usually wind up spending $$ since they dont ask the paper to underwrite anything.....usually the paper buys a "all in package" to get in on all of the in house drawings and raffles and such and my wife winds up bidding on artwork and i bid on scuptures and the like.......last night we walked out of there with a couple decoys from the live auction and a couple blankets my wife bid on in the silent auction.....however my wife was also bidding on a Terry Redline painting in the live auction......she had the bid at $600 and someone bid $625 and she didnt go any higher......she still aint sure if she is happy or mad that she didnt get it......really didnt have the $ but Redline had a stroke not long ago and is suffering from alshimers and isnt likely to do any more paintings.....anyways befre refreshments we walked out of there with a $350 bill...

heres the decoys i picked up
IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0716.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

VERY realistic! do you actually hunt duck or are they just for show? pretty either way...

these are for display not hunting.....coulda got 2 or 3 dozen hunting decoys for what i paid for these two.......havent hunted waterfowl in 8 years but i support DU as they conserve large chunks of wetlands......thinking bout getting a duck stamp this year and jump shooting some out of the stock ponds where i hunt deer and elk

Those are nice. I used to play around with woodcarving and sometimes thought about trying things like that, but I wasn't that good and wasn't motivated enough to make the effort to become that good. Since you're allergic to shotguns, are you going to shoot ducks at 500 yards with a 22-250?

actually i borrowed my father in laws........sage grouse is on my list of priorities this year.....havent eaten pheasant or duck or goose in years either.......figure if i worry bout bird hunting this year its easier to focus on getting an elk for my daughter if im not hunting for horns.......

Those are beautiful. Takes some work to carve them. I'd love to have some but not in my budget. :) Thank you for showing those.

Nice looking ducks,are those carved in wood or some other material? Or did you say already and I missed it?
I miss the Southwest Art Magazine Art show that used to be at a Radisson hotel downtown every summer. Since my mom is afraid to drive in the city (afraid of traffic) I always drove her and got to see the art show for free but they don't hold it anymore. I've noticed that the SW Art mag has really gone downhill too. I miss the paintings. I'm a sculptor myself but I really don't like Bronzes at all, I prefer realism like those ducks.

the original was carved from wood than a mold was made and the ones i purchased are cast from those molds in some type of polymer and than hand painted IIRC.....street value they are bout $120 each......an original out of wood would be more

street value they are bout $120 each
Be careful with those, if you get busted with em the cops might say they're actually worth way more... lol! :-O

lol.....used to using the term when talking on the gun forums....there is "Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price" usually listed on their website than there is the "Street Price" which is what your actually likely to pay when yah walk in off the street into a gun shop......usually they are off from each other bout 10-15%

Kinda like buying a car then?

I've only been hunting once when I was about 5 and my uncle told me years later that I asked "We're only gonna shoot the bad ducks right?" :)

Back