What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrestrials or wet ones?

Hi all.  Im new to this, so bear with me.  IVe got a nice warm tank that stays wet on the bottom.  We enough for moss to grow, and all sorts of tropicals (ferns, bromeliads, etc).  So, my question is, what types of orchids (if any) could I use to fill a "hole" in the terrarium? Something that can take almost constant moisture, or at least contact with the soil, and has some attractive foliage?  Up to a foot tall....
Thanks
Frogtown

Most "marsh" orchids grow too tall for that tank, but it sounds like Bulbophyllum/Cirrhopetalum territory. The forums sponsor has a nice one on special right now. They grow in environments similar to many Bromeliads. Just keep an eye on it to make sure the roots aren't too wet.

You're going to have to be careful, even with Bulbos. They're not going to be happy if they get too warm or if there's little air movement. Still, they may be best choice.

Merlin

Too Warm for Bulbophyllum!? I find that difficult to believe.
Though the constant damp conditions would probably rot them out. Even Bulbophyllum and Cirrhopetalum require active air movment through their media.
Your best bet would be Ludisia discolor and its relatives.
Ever conside some dwarf Begonia species?

Peace

Khai is right about the Ludisia discolor, it is one I have grown in a frog tank that is continually moist. It clearly doesn't do as well as it does on windowsills, but it's still growing, and has nice leaves, and won't get too big. Mine has almost no air movement, high humidity, and is sitting in moist peat moss. It can't hurt to build up a slight hill in the soil though to keep ip just a little less wet. It probably won't flower in there, but it's not particularly likely to die in those conditions.

Alternately, Habenaria repens should be a nice small marsh orchid, easy to grow, but it's hard to find, and doesn't have particularly showy flowers.

You might want to consider terrestrial bladderworts (Utricularia) instead, given the conditions, they would probably do very well.

I cant believe I forgot these plants, Episcia would do wonderfully they love a warm evenly moist environment, infact many cannot be cultivated outside of the terrarium.
Kartuzs' has a nice selection of these.

I recommend Ludisia discolor as well.....it is tough (for an orchid) from the jungles of Indochina humid and warm) and will bloom for you (not terribly showy, but blooms none the less).....factor in the average cost ($8.99 to $12.99) and you have a winner....and if your plant get to big you can take cuttings, root them in water, pot them up on their own and make an impressive specimen plant for its own sake.....
biggrin.gif

Back