What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrestrial bladderwort

I've been thinking about getting a terrestrial bladderwort, but before i do i was wondering if they are carnivorous or if they are just like any other boring plant.

yes, they are.  although if you only want these because they are carnivorous you may want to skip.  the traps are very small bladders (usually pin head size! ) under the soil surface.  so you don't got to watch.  their flowers are very neat though!
you may want to contact schloaty about the extra copy of "The Savage Garden"  it is a good place to start for this type of question.  check this link.
later,
Andrew

in no way am I insinuating that the urtics are boring. their traps are very interesting I love the things! BUT, I would hate to see someone get the plants just because they are carnivorous then realize the traps are not necessarily visible, and you can't see them eat, and just get rid of the plant. you know... I was "setting the expectation" hopefully this brings out the curiosity, the plant is gotten, and more urtics are soon to come! ;-)
Andrew

Bob, Andrew,

You both have valid points, Utrics really are fascinating plant and the flowers are wonderful (if a little small in some cases.) And like Bob said, their traps are about the fastest out there. I would also argue that they are the mot evolved of the trapping mechanisms.

However, if you are getting them in hopes of watching them trap odds are you will be disappointed. You can always grow thim in clear pots though and try your luck. Tamlin has a beauty of a U. longifolia growing in a tall glass and bladders are pressed right up against the side.

Personally I find Utricularia to be the most exciting of all CP genera, and the trapping mechanism is really the least of it all. I have said many times that there is always something going on with my collection. Some species or other is always surprising me with a new scape pushing up, or with new and sudden growth showing. The flowers are small, but they have the most personality of any flowers I have ever seen. Some of the flowers positively grin, like they are trying to tell you something, *burp*.....pugnacious faces with out thrust jaws, formal dresses for the Fairy's Ball. Unlike most other CP flowers, these little jewels have every color imaginable amongst the different species. As with any plant, the real interest for me lies in experiencing the growth cycle of the plant. It is a real pleasure to watch the slow, but continual growth from a tiny little start of a species and to see it eventually establish itself and fill a pot with its little leaves. When I see a pot densely filled with healthy leaves, I am every bit as impressed as when I see a huge hanging Nepenthes with large pitchers: it is just a little different perspective, that's all.

Dear Stone Burner:
I couldn't have said it better than Tamlin. I agree with you, beore I ever witnessed a Utricularia growing and thriving firsthand I wondered why I had heard so many people glorify and rave about this genus of CP. It's true I've never seen one catch an animal besides on video but I have come to love these tiny plants nonetheless! Start off with a U. livida or prealonga as these are fast and easy plants and you will see why these plants are irresistable; they will constantly surprise you and if you're lucky you will see them send clusters of traps out of their pots for you to admire. Place your pots in relatively large clear plastic or glass containers of water so you can see the riot of growth that takes place BELOW the soil surface and make sure you enlarge the drainage holes in the pots to let the plant invade it's space. No 2 specimens seem to be alike with Utricularia so be ready to be amazed.

Let us know if you've added any plants to your collection...

perhaps what we need here is examples.   ...I love pictures!!!
sorry the pictures are large but that allows for better detail in such a small yet beautiful plant. (all these pictures were taken today ;-) )
here is a picture of my U. livida flower
livida%20flower%20copy.jpg

here is a picture of my U. livida from the top
livida%20top%20copy.jpg

and here is a picture of my U. livida from the side grown in a clear undrained cup...
livida%20side%20copy.jpg

btw, yes Magore.  this is a part of the plant you gave me.   THANKS!!!
enjoy,
Andrew B.

Nice photos! Glad to see the flower opened for you (and I knew it when it was just a bud). Your livida looks very happy indeed!

Currently in my terrarium in bloom are Utricularia arenaria, calycifida 'Mrs. Marsh', flaccida, livida, welwitschii, subulata, lateriflora, and sandersonii typical.

Genlisea hispidula, lobata, violacea, "Itacambrina Beauty", violacea "Giant".

Best of all, U. alpina is growing! I can almost see the flowers (well, in my dreams at least)!!

way to go Tamlin!! i can see those U. alpina flowers all the way over here in Az ;-) the others look good as well... thanks for the compliments!!!
andrew

Back