What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium

I am making a terrarium in a 25 gallon tank. I want you to tell me how to do it, what plants to use, etc. I am trying to stay in the cost area of about $150, give or take about $20. That does not include the cost of the tank, I already have that.

I am using (how many?) 40 watt grow lights. Just tell me anything. I just want a terrarium I can be satisfied with.

Thank you,
Kevin

PS Remember. Anything at all.

The key element will be lighting combined with the plants you want to grow. You need to take into account how much natural light the plants will get and suppliment accordingly. I am sure the terrarium growers can help you more with that.

Perhaps you can list the conditions you are going to try and maintain?

Natural light levels and exposure
Plants you wish to grow
Temperature range day/night
etc
Tony

I will give 10 hours of artificial light everyday. I am trying to grow:

Highland Nepenthes, any easy to grow and not huge.
Any drosera that would fit in with the conditions of a Highland Nep.
Any pinguicula that matches both conditions

Anything else that would fit in those conditions.

Sorry it is so broad!

I don't think 10 hours is long enough unless your in a situation where they are getting 3-4 hours of sunlight either before or after the artificial lights.

A number of the South American Drosera like cool temperatures. (I am not a very experienced Drosera grower though).

Temperature ranges?
Amount of natural light the terrarium will get and duration?

The better you can define your growing conditions the easier it will be to correct defficiencies now and choose plants which will match the environment.. and the better your success ;>
Tony

Ok. I will give them 14 hours of artificial light. I am not sure on the temparature, that depends on the plants.

You are the people that are supposed to be explaining to me!

wwelll I gotta run to dinner soon. As far as temperatures go. It is hard to do a true highland setup indoors without cooling the terrarium. Which can be somewhat difficult.

Highland generally means 80 day 55 night temps (or even colder for ultrahighland). Although some highland plants are less picky and will do well in intermediate conditions. Low to mid 60s during the night and 85 or so during the day. This is the range I would say most peoples houses are. There are also lowland plants that will do fine with these intermediate temperatures.

If you have a super desire to grow a specific plant then that is a different story. But if your content with an intermediate set up and plants that would do well in it, there are plenty to choose from.
Tony

Temperature wise, at least in my house, winter spring and fall are perfect highland temps in my house as long as I have a humidifier on... I'm guessing
hehehe...

Back