What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

its a five gallon tank about ten inches high... I've been wanting to make a terrarium... Temperate species seem to be the best, that way I can just carry the whole thing down to the laundry room or garage...

Here is what I'm thinking:

D. muscipula - The garage and laundrey room dont get so cold it will die, but it will be cold enough for the others...

D. rotundifolia... Also compact, good for the size of my terrarium.

P. vulgaris - I live somewhere GOOD for these.. actually, i live in their habitat, tho i havent ever seen any (i just started CPing this year, so i'll check this summer for sure!), so I think they'll do Ok... size wize, i'm not sure if it will fit... what do u think?

S. purpurea - Not sure bout the size at all.... The only thing I'm 'scared' of is that the flower stalk may blow the roof off... Hehehe... Not sure if it will overgrow the rest.... so this may be a no....

Any other suggestions for plants?

(Edited by Tamlin Dawnstar at 7
wow.gif
6 pm on April 29, 2002)

I dunno... In the winter? Well, it gets below zero outside, but in the laundrey room you only start to get goosebumps ... In the garage you have to cross your arms to keep warm, AND wear shoes...

Yeah those sound goos Parasuco. Considering you and I live in purpurea purpurea,rotundifolia,and vulgaris habitiats why not put them in a bog garden outside??? That is what I have my Purpurea Purpurea and Rotundifolias in I haven't found a site that sells Vulgaris yet! Darn
smile.gif

These conditions sound fine for the temperate species.
Other Droserae possibilities are Drosera intermedia and Drosera anglica. Utricularia praelonga and reniformis are marginally hardy. The Droserae don't like to be kept too wet in dormancy, just moist, and with good air circulation.

Hey, Nep G, I've got seeds germinating. Two so far, but as long as I make one survive, I'll give you the other, and If i have more, i'll send you more... But wait till they are big enough to prick out of the medium... :wink:

Sorry about the temperature measurments I used, but I dont really know how cold it gets... hehehe...

The only problem with a bog garden that I can see is that i dont live in a swamp, so humidity... I get lake effect humidity, so that MAY be enough... How does half of a barrel out of the ground, on my deck sound?

Back