What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tell me about cinnamon oil

Cinnamon oil sounds interesting. A little bird told me it works however I haven't quite grasped when one would use it. Does one use it for both insect and arachnid infestations? Is cinnamon oil diluted before used and if so with what? Exactly how does one apply it? Does it dammage new growth and if so, to what extent? Can this process be applied to other CPs or is it ony safe to use on Pings. Why does it work?

What does everyone think of horticultural oils?

Soaps?

While I know nothing about the use of cinnamon oil on plants, in the past I have used ground cinnamon (the kind used for cooking) as a mild fungicide that was very lightly applied using a cotton swap to broken roots or foliage on orchids.  I have heard that an excess of cinnamon around the roots can inhibit root growth so I have always been extra careful when using it.  It seemed to work but I can't really say I was impressed with the results either.  I have since learned that the best fungicides/insecticides, etc., are just plain, old-fashioned good growing conditions with plenty of light and air circulation.
smile.gif

Corey

I have little oscilating fans on all my plants as well as what I would consider decent lighting. I too have used cinnamon powder but more as a prophylactic.

I've been gone for a little bit and came home to find that the P. caerulea seed I purchased is "fuzzy". I can see the tiniest dots of silvery gray dotting the top of the medium when I use a magnifying glass. I suspect I received bad seed as I also purchased S. minor seed as well as S. flava and S. alata from the same place.  The Sarracenia seed is much larger than the P. caerulea seed and it is undeniably rotting. I am flat out tossing all the seed and medium if cinnamon powder doesn't work.  I did take a tweezers and removed the bad seeds before I sprinkled the cinnamon powder. I am relatively sure it isn't my medium because I planted seed I bought from another source at the same time and that seed is in the same area, receiving the same lighting, in the save Rubbermaid food storage containers, receiving the same water. This is the very first time I have lost seed to fungus. I have been starting plants from seed for at least 10 years although I have never focused on CP seed. My friends all said it was bound to happen to me sooner or later and it did.

editing to add that I would still love to know about cinnamon oil as well as what I originally posted.

Cinnamon oil was sucessfully used in some form as a miticide for red spider mite by succulent grows some years ago but seemed to never really catch on. Nowdays imidacloroprid insecticide is boosted to include red spider mite by adding sunflower oil - this oil chokes the mites - so maybe that was all cinnamon oil was doing - not sure.
Another possibility is to water overhead with a well stirred mix of water with a pinch (note exact quantities) of powdered sulphur. The local acidic conditions this creates are not liked by red spider mite - I've used this on cacti and succulents and it works ok, for a while you can get a faint bloom of sulphur on the leaves but that goes with more watering.

BR
Chris

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 31 2005,8:09)]Cinnamon oil sounds interesting. A little bird told me it works however I haven't quite grasped when one would use it.
I understand just a dab behind the ears will get a guys attention quick. We find it ear- resistable (I know - bad pun). I love the smell of cinnamon
smile_n_32.gif

Steve

Eggstraordinary pun, Steve!

Back