What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bought a Tarnok last year... came with 1.5 foot pitchers (2). It was late in the season so it didn't have much time to settle in before dromancy. It came through dormancy just fine... no rot or fungus.. like the rest of my collection.

Now this year it put up 2 tall pitchers (same size as the ones that came on the plant when I bought it). But now all the pitchers (leaves) are just spade shaped... not pitchers at all.

As they grow, the leaf section is nice and wide, growing to a good height... but the pitcher section never fills out and they eventually stall. The small tip which would typically start growing into the pitcher just browns.

-they get direct sun from 10 or so till 5 or so.
-they are in 8 inch deep pots sitting in a couple inches of water
-the pots that they are in are sitting up off the grass by a foot.
-they only get distilled or rain water
-I don't fertilize
-no aphids or other buggies
-the leaves are growing pretty quickly

___as an aside.. I use to have the pots directly on a cement slab all day in the sun... so I was told to move them off the slab to not get the browning rims of my pitchers... as you can see in the photo.. the 2 formed pitchers got toasted during those times. All the other growth on my other plants since the move have not been browned at all. All the spade leaves on the tarnok were grown after the move as well.

Any thoughts?

tarnok.jpg

Those wide leaves are phyllodia. As long as they keep growing everything is ok. They should start sending up pitchers later this year.

What would be the reason that it would send up regular pitchers first and the the phyllodia.... and then back to regular pitchers? I always thought the the phyllodia where produced at the end of the growing season.

i've gotten phyllodia before pitchers before. no biggie.

Sorry.. just to make it clear... the 2 pitchers you see in the photo are from this year.... not left overs from last year.

Leucophylla grows pitchers in spring, phyllodia in summer and bigger, more substantial pitchers in fall.

You probably haven't got any spring pitchers as your plant might still be bedding in. Leucos can be a bit picky in my opinion.

It's doing fine though, so don't worry.

Thanks for the info. This is going to be the first complete year growing CPs... so i have no idea of the cycle any of the go through.

On a similar note my S. oreophila seems to have done close to the same thing. I had a large crop of pitchers in early May, and then all threw June and now threw July nothing but phyllodia. Can I expect pitchers in late summer early Autumn or is it done with pitchers for the year?

In my experience, oreophila is sort of the opposite of Leucos, large pitcher crop in the spring, then nothing but phyllodia untill growth stops for dormancy.

Cole

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Colieo @ July 26 2005,4:34)]In my experience, oreophila is sort of the opposite of Leucos, large pitcher crop in the spring, then nothing but phyllodia untill growth stops for dormancy.

Cole
S. flava and their 'sister' species S. oreophila are strong spring growers (usually). Mine tend to be strongest in the spring but may continue to throw up pitchers on & off all summer depending on the conditions. Late summer / fall you should start to see the typical phyllodia for each species.

Other Sarracenia like S. rubra (esp S. rubra 'albamensis') and S. leucophylla find their strongest growth at the end of the summer. For whatever reason, S. leucophylla has never been a strong grower for me.

Nevermore - if you haven't gtten the book "The Savage Garden" yet, put it on your wish list (b-day, etc). You can spend a lot of hours with it...
smile_m_32.gif

Son of a'gun... i have the book and it says in there the growth cycle of the leco. Oopps. I was just comparing it to the growth of my other plants.

Back