What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tap Water

Can I make distilled water? My water ph is medium its between 8.0 6.5 is soft water good for vft's? Which is better for the vft well or city I have well

Hi Venus Stephen

The best water is rain or distilled water. You have to avoid water (like city tap water) that has minerals and salts in it. The residue will build up in the soil and kill your plant. Well water can also have minerals in it. You can make distilled water with an Reverse Osmosis (R.O.) system but they are kinda expensive so I've heard. I try to collect rain water and otherwise buy distilled water (not spring or drinking water) at the grocery store.

Good luck with your plant.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Not to be a stickler but... you can purify your water with a reverse osmosis system (somewhat expensive). Distilled water is a different thing (different process). If you don't have many plants, purchasing distilled water is fairly inexpensive. Collecting rain water is the best. Do not give straight tap water, it will kill your plant(s). (Probably). To answer your question directly... you can make distilled water but it's really not practicable. If you're interested do a Google search on the distillation process. (Kinda like making moonshine)

Back