What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tanya(flytrapgurl) has a message for you all

• Thread starter Starman
  • Start date
Hi everyone,
Tanyas grandparants have banned her from the computer, because her average grades wernt high enough.
But ALL her grades are A's and B's, and her grade average is 3.7
This isnt high enough for her grandparants, so they have only allowed her to watch the TV 3 hours a day and thye have banned her from the computer for a week(unless doing studying and schoolwork) in a bid to get her to study more and harder.There is no way that she can do better thens he has doen already, she also told me there is no way that she will study more and will rather spend the spare time staring into a wall.
She told me to tell you all that the freakish-Queen-Girl-of-the-Universe-flat-Butt-failure-in-life-already will be back when shes done NOT studying.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]freakish-Queen-girl-of-the-Universe-flat-butt-failure-in-life-already

A flat butt huh?

Might as well study since she has the time now anyway. If they want more then theres not much she can do except what they want until she is of age.

haha you dont know Tanya, she is very stubborn and she told me she will refuse to study because its impossible and even if it was possible she wouldnt do it anyway, so she will be spending time staring into a wall to show that she will not study more

hell, I'd make worse grades just to show her EVIL, CRUEL grandparents.
like when my mom tried to bann me from the computer after 10... I stayed up even later watching TV really loud and doing stuff to wake her up. why? because it's unfair and unjustified. a couple of days and some arguing later... I got promoted to 11 PM. lol... now that is fair and justified so I didn't argue.

Wow. See if you go to wleep at 9 or 10 you can get up at 6 like me. Then you have more time before other activities for CPs. Since most of mine are outside. It seems to me that you could open two windows on the comp. One as a cover page and one as a terraforums page. Just delete the history and no one will ever know
smile.gif

I would stop studying completely, and even if i knew the answer to a problem, I would just miss it and get like a complete zero,then show it to them before report cards came out and study like crazy

If you need to rebel against the authority figures in your life (a worthwhile goal), go work for a political campaign they oppose or learn something they don't know or listen to free jazz or date someone of a background they don't approve of.  Or anything else that blazes a new path for the family.  To stare at a wall or watch TV or quit studying is so lame.  It'll just turn you into the same mindless idiot they already are.  Congratulations.

LOL!

Wow.........I wonder if I sounded this dumb when I was a teen? I agree with Bruce, throwing away education to "prove a point" is pretty dumb to say the least. There are plenty of ways to rebel but I can almost guarentee that your ideas listed above will get you no where. If they do then perhaps then it is the parents (or grandparents) that are totally wrong.

I tell ya what, that sure as hell wouldn't work with me. I'll admit, if her grades are honestly As and Bs ONLY then that would be within my standards but it is a parents responsibility to do things like this. If they didn't then they wouldn't be very good parents.

Joe

well, we didn't say throw away education, and I just said make worse grades, not bad grades. a C in one report card really doesn't harm you in the long run and if you can make your life better in the long run then I don't see why not.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If they didn't then they wouldn't be very good parents.
it's obvious that if she's making A's and B's she's really trying. Good parents don't push their kids past their limitations.
besides, it's not like she's going to bad sites or anything. People need recreation too. Life isn't all about grades.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]To stare at a wall or watch TV or quit studying is so lame. It'll just turn you into the same mindless idiot they already are. Congratulations.
this is just for a short time. Like I said, I just had to do it a couple of days. look at the big picture. I also said I did other things besides watching TV...

AlphaWolf,

If you were my kid and you pulled a stunt like that I would have turned your hind end a bright cherry red, no matter how old you were.
smile.gif
Parents may make stupid decisions sometimes, but they do have your best interests at heart, and they have far more life experience than you do, listen to them, ya might learn something useful.
smile.gif
(not dogging on ya man, just conversing.)

As for FTG, sounds like her granparents are like some of the parents i knew growing up. Perfectionists. I think she should study harder, talk to her teachers and see if she can get extra credit to bring up her grades, as spectacular as they are, extra effort is usually rewarded.

Oh, and I speak from experience, I was a horrible student, and I have to disagree with 'parents shouldn't push their kids past their limits'. That just assists the child in boxing themselves in, limits are made to be destroyed, the only way to do that, is to push push push. The trick, is not pushing to hard, or to little. I was identified as having ADD when I was in middleschool, as such, I was (without my parents knowledge) shuffled off to classes with other kids that had ADD (even though my grades were good.) that crawled along at a snails pace. I stopped doing my homework because I knew it allready, I was bored out of my skull. No one was pushing me. When the problem came to a head in my 10th grade year, everything finally became clear, my parents found out that I had been tagged into a 'slow class' and were furious. Little did the school system know I read about 10 books a week, played multiple instrucments (soprano, alto, tenor and barry sax, piano, baritone and tuba (never had the chops for the trumpet.
smile_h_32.gif
)) They yanked me out of public school and threw me into a private school. Over the next two years that school educated the crap out of me, I went through Algebra, and geometry in less than a symester (had no intrest in going further with math) Physics 1, 2, when I graduated my ACT scores placed me in the top 3% of the nation as compared to the bottom 25% on my PreACT my sophmore year. I got a full ride to college, (which I subsequently blew having to much fun!
smile.gif
all because I got pushed. Pushing is a GOOD GOOD THING.

Alpha,
You fail to quote me as also saying that if her grades really are As and Bs then I don't see the need for punishment. Whatever though. I wouldn't take the internet away for those grades but I would still push for all A's and if she tries her best and doesn't get it then whatmore can you ask. However what if she played along and got all A's then it's worth it.
Gotta remember I am a father. I see it from a "Your Future" standpoint as do most parents even when you the kid see differently.

I think Ram said it best already anyway.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Mar. 25 2005,6:53)]If you need to rebel against the authority figures in your life (a worthwhile goal), go work for a political campaign they oppose or learn something they don't know or listen to free jazz or date someone of a background they don't approve of.  Or anything else that blazes a new path for the family.  To stare at a wall or watch TV or quit studying is so lame.  It'll just turn you into the same mindless idiot they already are.  Congratulations.
or you could just edit the grading system so that 10-100= A grade
0-9, you deserve an F

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheAlphaWolf @ Mar. 25 2005,5:27)]it's obvious that if she's making A's and B's she's really trying. Good parents don't push their kids past their limitations.
besides, it's not like she's going to bad sites or anything. People need recreation too. Life isn't all about grades.
not nessicerily, i graduated with a 3.5 and didnt put forth much of any effort. i took calculus, human physiology, college prep english, psycology and other classes along these lines, in all these i had an A or a high B. i didnt study for tests(something that really torqued off some of my "smarter" class mates). i could take a calc test in half the time of anyone of the other 6 ppl in my class and still be twords the top as far as grades in class. one midterm i finished in 45 minutes, every one else took a solid hour and a half or more. only one person out scored me.

i did this without trying and boy did i piss off my dad. i partied through high school. drinking on the weekends, went fishing or hunting after school when i wasnt working. basically enjoyed myself. as far as I was concerned it wasnt worth the extra effort to get a 4.0 GPA. as i look back i dont believe my dad was in the wrong for trying to push me but now im 23 years old, looking at total joint replacement with my left knee before im 30 for no other reason than bad genes and im glad i enjoyed myself when i did irreguardless of the fact my dad was right. your parents do have your best interest at heart and time will probably show that they are right even if right now it seems unfair. rarly will it show that you were the one in the right, well at least totally in the right
smile_n_32.gif

so without knowing her i cant say that its unfair her grandparents are pushing her. they could very well be way in the right. your right in that life isnt all about grades, but good grades can sure smooth things out later in life.

RamPuppy:How come yourschool didn't call your parents and tell them that they were putting you in a "special" class?I don't think they have the right to just put you in one without your gardians concent.Also,if you don't mind me asking,do you still have ADD?*Niki*(Trapper7)

Withou getting to much into my life:

I dropped out after completion of 8th grade. My mom didn't care and l did as I pleased. It amounts to pile of
smile_k_ani_32.gif
now. I am almost 25 and work whatever I can find, rent half of a house with my wife and 2 kids. Friends around me who tried to be the best even if they weren't are now owning homes, their own businesses, and cars. I had fun but it doesn't mean
smile_k_ani_32.gif
now that I am part of the world. Education and hard work are the ONLY way, it'll always be that way.

Joe

dude, do you really need to watch tv more than 3 hours of TV every day?

I only use my tv to play video games, my cable wire is weird, but doesn't matter. I just use the computer mostly

[b said:
Quote[/b] (herenorthere @ Mar. 25 2005,6:53)]If you need to rebel against the authority figures in your life (a worthwhile goal), go work for a political campaign they oppose or learn something they don't know or listen to free jazz or date someone of a background they don't approve of.  Or anything else that blazes a new path for the family.  To stare at a wall or watch TV or quit studying is so lame.  It'll just turn you into the same mindless idiot they already are.  Congratulations.
That is so true. If you stop studying whose life are you ruining? Yours. That is pretty dumb to say the least. And plus you would get bored after watching tv for that long and turn into a mindless couch potato...yeah and why would you want to watch TV more than (how many) hours a day?

Man I love reading these short bibliographies... *hint*
smile_m_32.gif

I'd say study soo hard that they will want to give you some free time. Not studying will be just harming yourself. Oh, and 3 hours of TV is not neccissary.

The only reason I get my priviliges is that I get strait A's. The strange thing is that I barely ever study. It kinda pisses people off when I get a perfect on unit tests and exams in science when I've only studied 20min at lunch right before the test
biggrin.gif
. Earn your priviliges instead of forceing them out of your folks. Zongyi

Back