What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The new growspace is done, and in the very nick of time. I have replaced the 30 worn out tubes with fresh tubes mounted above twin 4 foot five shelf units. Each shelf will hold 6 plastic bins, each with 10-16 pots. This will accomodate most of my collection with room to spare for propagation.

Once the HID ballast is returned (hopefully repaired this time) I will have a good strong light source that will allow me to expand in ways I have never been able to.

This is a trade off on a GH, which I just can't afford to maintain over the winter months here.

The only problems at present are arranging 2 new circuts in the room, and I am now seeking a good electrician for this.

NExt season I will begin construction of an outdoor growing area to keep out squirrels and birds and reduce amount of prey the Sarracenia consume. Ideally, I will only have to move the plants once per season, and they will be attractively arranged in one space.

I am also looking for a good brand of humidifier to run over the winter months. Does anyone have any recommendations?

My thanks to all my friends who helped me through the dark times. I hope you will come and visit me sometime, now that my collection is finally visable. The door is always open!

Sounds as if a lot of hard work on your part is going to start paying off. Nice job!

Wow sounds very impressive!! Can you post any pictures of it?? I would like to see it!!!

-buckeye

William, glad to ehar you have..........LIGHT!
smile.gif
BTW< I have an ultrasonic humidifier you could borrow for the nasty dry winter.
smile.gif

Your going to have to post some pictures!

That's great to hear my friend! Glad to hear everything is comming together for you. (i told you it would. ;-) ) can't wait to see pics. better yet. can't wait to come visit!!!
Andrew

That's great!  I love my 4' long wire shelving unit, too.  I just wish it was a bit longer so the shoplights fit better.  I just covered the back and sides of the grow shelf with mylar film, and it's amazing how much brighter it is now.  I highly recommend doing that.  I bought my mylar very cheaply on Ebay a while back- it will pay for itself soon in growth, i think.

Well, now that the crisis is over, back to CPs!!!

Glad to have you back on top, Tamlin.  

Good growing

Nathan

PS I know i knew this once, but exactly where do you live? Upstate NY?

Tamlin,

Good to hear that your grow chamber has updated.

I use a Kaz ultrasonic humidfier Model 5520B. Kaz usually makes OEM humidifiers for other brands (iirc, Vicks).

Thanks for the kind words and advice. Things are already looking better. Once I add the 1000 watt HID lamps to the mix I should really get some action. I be one happy mon!!!

Hey Tamlin!

Nice setup! I would be curious to have a look at it... Once it will be done, be sure to post us some pics! And if I came by NY state, be sure I'll knock to your door to have an eye on this phytocytorium
wink.gif
. I grew with a similar setup 2 years ago , but with a 400W HPS. It was nice, but I got some problems with my Helis with it.

i use a eco terra humidifyer. don't know if they sell it in the US. I guess you could find it in petsmart (there US website shows they have a differnt kind of humidifyer, but will probably do just as well. probably located in the reptiles section.) Zongyi

I'm glad to hear everything is going ok for you. It's about time things go right for you.

You say you're looking for a good electrician. I don't know any "good" electricians but I know a mediocre one. "ME". If things were better for me financially, and I had the money to do it, I would drive there and do any kind of electrical work you wanted for free. I'll tell you what I can do, if you agree I'll do it for gas money. Or I can work out something like I'll donate some plants to anyone that donates gas money. I think it'll be cheaper to do it that way then to pay an electrician.

Well what do you guys think?

Ozzy, what is the distance and guestamated fuel cost nessasary?
Andrew

edit:  OH!  and i just bought this humidifier...  it was 30.00 and so far is working great!!  here is the link to the exact one.  It says walmart on the package (and is sold there) but is made by sunbeam.   cool mist ultrasonic humidifier  so far with it in full open *high setting* i use the 2 gallons in about 10-13 hours.  my other humidifier is one of those wick things...  and goes through the 3 gallons (depending on temp and current humidity) in about 20-40 hours...  i guess you can see a difference in the humidity going into the room.    
tounge.gif

smile.gif

I don't think it will take that much. Maybe about $20 each way. It's almost 400 miles.

...what kinda car do you drive?  my s-10 on a trip say... to phoenix gets about 260 miles to a tank of gas that costs about 30 bucks to fill up.  so that'd cost me what like 45 each way.  i think...  
confused.gif
OR do you mean 400 miles total?

I'll be driving a 6-cyl grand am GT. The trip is 400 miles each way. I think it will take just over 1 tank of gas each way. It takes roughly $20 to fill it up. The $20 each way is a very rough estimate. I already have one person that has offered to donate $20. I'll let that person come forward publicly if he wants.
I'm waiting to hear from Tamlin before I make any more plans since the choice is his.
Tamlin it may be a good idea to wait until you get your light so I can wire it up for you too.

I'll donate gas money.
smile.gif
I told William that you might be able to help him. VERY nice of you to offer to do that. That's quite a haul for you.

If you can talk him into it, I'm in for the gas money...maybe even meal money too. [Peeled grapes...]
wink.gif

I'll do it for the grapes, meet me at Tamlins.
wink.gif

Heck I need to come visit now!
smile.gif
I'll donate some buckeroonies too if this thing goes through. Get ready William, we might be at your door next!
biggrin.gif

Back