What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tamlin/William Dawnstar

I'm late too for this post, but I insist to write something about it:

Tamlin is the oldest 'cp friend' I have still contact with (I unfortunatly lost contact recently with Chris F.
sad.gif
with few of you surely known, which was the very first cper I've ever met), and never fail to put some joy in my hobby. He is gerenous (don't believe in that thing called money), hilarious and have a heart as large as his knowledge. It is always a pleasure to read his posts.

I want to keep it short, but I think he manage to help to edify the donation/giveaway community we can assist on this forum (Too bad I'm in Canada eh?). Btw, congratulation to all who contribute to this!

I just hope to shake your hand one day William, on a fieldtrip (in your area or mine?), or at a ICPS conference :p

I am definatly one of those William did more for than give my my first cp. He also made this hobby an amazing one, one I will hopefully never forget.

Forever grateful,
Cole

Tamlin is super awsome. He can ID any sundew and is really nice, can explain things simply for beginers and scientifically for people who ask why a lot?(like me). He helps sped rare plants and works to ensure proper scientific names. He has really pretty plants, and never talks down to people... I don't know, I just think that Tamlin is a super awsome cool person
biggrin.gif

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Ooops,

I guess my focus is often kinda narrow, but I just noticed this thread.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Tamlin watched me step over the threshold into his world and then made me feel at home here. I will admit that I spent many years as a voyeur of other peoples experiences with CP as I am a recluse at heart. But when I joined the PFT forum (TerraForums) I met Tamlin. Since then we have shared much, of life and plants. I often speak on the phone with him until late at night for my time zone, he seems to be rather a night owl, as I am on the west side of the USA and he is on the east... We have discovered that we share many beliefs and experiences, especially where it concerns CP. I must say that without his support and encouragement I would probably have snuck back over the threshold and returned to watching the CP world from a distance. Now I know that my purpose in life is to spread the word about CPs and encourage others to make their life's purpose supporting CP -- while others of our kind are destroying their habitat by daily bulldozing and paving them ever closer to oblivion.

Thank you William for your example of caring. For your sharing of these beautiful creatures, whom, without the compassion of some, would be at the mercy of the majority. Please, don't ever stop being there. . .

Good growing,
Joseph</span>

William Dawnstar
42 East Oneida Street
Oswego, New York 13126

I've never met you but somehow I feel like you are a good friend who someone could rely on under any circumstance.
You are definitely generous and most of the CP growers are extremely grateful for your help/ knowledge and guidance. A big thank you on behalf of all the Singapore growers.
Since seeing your photo in the 'post your pic' thread recently, I have come to 'know' you and your expert knowledge of all plants, not just CP's.
Of all the people in this forum, you and Plantakiss stand out as being exceptional. Not that everyone else isn't exceptional as well!!
It is great to 'meet' friends from places so far away.
Happy growing, Neil.

I can not agree more with neil. We all, at the forum and among the forum members in Singapore are infected by “Tamlin syndrome” to various degree.
For me the CP hobby can be expensive initially, especially when I first started = buying expensive, dying (CP) expensive due to cultivation ignorant. It is not until I found CP forums (especially this one) that I begin to have some success in CP growing, and learning to share knowledge and more, such that CP growing can be fun and less expensive.

BTW Neil is the only CP grower I have met personally, but some how I have a feeling that we have all met =the syndrome.

JK

When i think of that name i think of a leading cp expert on #### near every cp and if hes not he certainly has the knowledge to be one on all the variety of cp iv seen him post about (an its allot) iv used his advice with out fail many times. and thus far i have yet to meet any one in rl or on a forum that has a greater capacity on the topic of cp's and there cultivation.

-Steve/james S

William is an important member of the CP society, and I consider him a good friend as well. I am constantly impressed by his botanical/taxonimical knowledge, as well as his ability to identify Drosera. I, myself, can barely tell D. capensis from D. intermedia, which makes William's knowledge of this field seem nearly unimaginable. He is also one of the most generous people I know. He has given me some very interesting pygmy Drosera, as well as probably hundreds of other members of the forums. I can't think of a better role model for future CP'ers to learn from.

biggrin.gif

Sincerely,
Pat Lathem

Time to bring this topic back to light.

William Dawnstar, what can I say about this man. William, is probably one of the greatest men I have ever had the pleasure to know. He is a role model for us all. William will go out of his way to answer any and all questions to the very best of his abilities; he will even go as far to give you the background and more info than required just to give you a better understanding. He has gone out of his way for this community more than any other person I have known. He has spent countless hours (probably better to measure it in days) to spread the plants he loves so much to others. He has no other goals but to spread his knowledge and joy to as many people as he possibly could, often at great personal loss.
William has sacrificed much for this community and for the plants. For that, we all owe him a great deal of gratitude.

I can only hope, that one day I will become as good a man as my mentor, my fellow cp'er and my friend William Dawnstar.

Paul

I find this thread interesting...

William Dawnstar contributed to this forum almost since its creation years ago.  He has answered a million questions, started intriguing scientific debates, instructed and encouraged newbies, and inspired us all; he has preached the "giving ethic" until it has become a hallmark and the pride of this discussion forum; he has given away plants, seeds and gemmae numbering in the thousands to hundreds upon hundreds of people....to those who have not asked, to those who did ask and even to those who demanded.

And yet...only *23* people replied to this post.  YEARS of service to this discussion board...HOURS and hours of time sitting at the computer typing replies to HUNDREDS of posts, PMs and email until his wrists literally ached....THOUSANDS of plants/seed/gemmae freely given away (mostly at his own expense)...a MILLION wise words on growing these precious plants.  Yet only 23 people took just a couple of minutes out of their day to make a comment.....

Make no mistake...William did not contribute all that he did to the membership here for the purpose of getting thanks or being viewed as "the sundew god", the "expert" or any such self-agrandoisement.  He is a simple man not desiring of the limelight.  He asked for nothing beyond your basic ettiquette of "please" and "thank you" with a request to always "share."  He did it for the love of the plants and the love of the people here.  He has a kind and thoughtful heart.  He cares about the plants and wants to keep them safely in cultivation.; he cares about the growers "out there" who want to learn caring for these plants and stewardship and "sharing the love"...giving plants just to get them out to the public with no monetary rewards.

I thank those of you who took the couple of minutes to make your posts and speak your hearts and minds.  Not all who should have, did.  There should be hundreds of posts here...but that is just my opinion.

But what has been written here is appreciated as a "momento" of his contribution to PFT/Terraforums over these past wonderful years.  You few are his real friends...those who cared enough to say a kind word.  I thank you all.
smile.gif

Well... Tamlin does give me good advice that some other people wouldn't know about
smile.gif
and I know he gives away tons and tons of plants to people. But I don't hang around in the trading forum too much so I don't have a personal experience with him giving out plants, etc.
He was very nice when I asked him about my website.
smile.gif

too bad he can't go on the internet for a while.

I have not had the opportunity to have discussions here with William (YET) since I am a new member to Terra Forums.

I will admit however to reading posts that go back quite some time till I had information overload and buggy eyes and all the great advice came from few wonderful contributors. William is one of these few people who stands up and dispenses wonderful information. I have even seen instances here where he even learned a bit and was more than happy to express his gratitude for the experience.

I for one look forward to learning more about William and corresponding with him in the future.

Cheers,
Sean

Back