What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

taking bets, will 35 year old seed germinate?

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
We just got home from an auction and my husband opened up an old book that was in one of the boxes he picked up. Out fell an unopened pack of marigold seeds that were packed for 1975.
Any takers on whether or not they will germinate? :-D

I think there is a good chance.
marigold's are very hardy.
When I was a kid my mother just took last years seeds and threw them on the soil.

I'll bet your bottom dollar that they won't germinate. Not to be negative, but something that is an annual may lose its viability more easily than a perennial. Now.... prove me wrong! Didn't I "see" you "across the Pond"?

I think it's really going to depend on where those seeds have spent the last 35 years of their life. If they were stored in a cool basement, the chances are much greater. In an unheated garage, not so good. But good luck with them and report back.

If you haven't already tried this, I'd suggest soaking in water or GA3 for a few days, too.

Back