What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take Root VS. RooTone

Has anyone used Schultz’s Take Root for Nepenthes cuttings?  I used this stuff about 2 months ago and none of my stems developed any roots (although they did grow new leaves from the dormant bud).  So the stems are growing good, but with no roots.  I gave them some Rootone 2-3 weeks ago for the heck of it.  I noticed in the stem I have rooting in pure water, the base had split and was developing roots.  I checked the others that I have growing in peat/perlite mix and they have grown a bunch of roots.  Now I can’t say that this all happened due to using Rootone, but I can’t help but wonder.  Anybody else have a similar experience?  Is Rootone better than Take Root?  Does Take Root even work for Nepenthes cuttings?

I have used Take Root, and I had the same experience with it as you have. I used it mainly because i couldn't find anything better around here, although I recently did find some rootone at a garden store near me. From reading the labels on both products, the only difference between the two, at least from what i can remember at the moment, is that Rootone has a fungicide included with the rooting hormone while Take Root does not. The fungicide might be the reason why your cutting rooted faster with Rootone than with Take Root.

Jœl

Take Root and Rootone powders look exactly the same. All rooting powders probably look this way huh?
tounge.gif
How would the added fungicide help? I got a big (relatively) can of Take Root, and I don't know if I should get Rootone or not. These things are kinda expensive. Guess this won't be a problem until I can get my hands on more cuttings
wink.gif

Sorry I am not familiar with the Take Root. There are different types of auxin. Some of which last longer before they become ineffective. Age of the powder could play a roll also, as the hormones degrade over time. Amount that was applied might make a difference. AND they could vary on concentration in the formula. Fungicide should not affect root developement but it might help with keeping the cut edge free of any pathogens which might.. MIGHT help in allowing the tissue to grow and differentiate into roots faster.

Feel free to post what both labels say as active ingredients and their concentration.
Tony

TakeRoot: Indole-3-butyric Acid 0.1%

I'm gonna buy a bottle of Rootone tomorow, so I can check out it's ingredients by then.

Jœl

Cool!
Joel, please let us know what the ingredients are for Rootone, then we can have a little comparison
smile.gif

Back