What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swords-Inspired Lentibulariacious Chamber

Hello!

After seeing those nifty Utriculariums that Swords built, I had to try my hand at it!

Its just cork-bark (formally used to grow dendrobiums) cut and sanded to size to fit the large "Cube of Death." I have LFS in rain water at the bottom, into which I planted a plug of U. sandersonii 'Blue Form.' I hope that it fills the space and even climbs the cork-bark one day. (My apologies for the blurry pictures)

P8300694.jpg

On the cork-bark itself, and inspired by reports of Mexican Pinguiculae growing on the trunks of trees, I put a few pullings of P. moranensis cv. unkown into some cracks and crevices. Im hoping at least a few will really root in (as best as a ping can!) and that there is enough moisture wicked up by the bark.

P8300701.jpg

I have it sitting in an east-facing window, getting direct sun for a few hours in the AM then brightish light the rest of the day. We'll see. Thanks for looking!

Cj

i think sandersonii is more terrestrial then epiphytic in nature...that's not to say it cant be done---i've grown gramminifolia this way. good luck.

Cool stuff! Did you make any ventilation in the cube lid? I haven't put any in mine yet but figured I probably should sometime. Mine sit a few inches under two T5 HO fluorescents lit up for 12-16 hours a day depending on season.

How are the pings attached to the wood? If you have trouble getting them to stay moist enough you can try mixing a little peat & clay kitty litter 50/50 into a wet mud and smear it into the valleys of the cork bark texture where you want to plant them and then stick your plants on. The mud keeps the plants roots moist and helps get them established.

Thanks for the input. I dont exactly have my heart set on this working, just something to keep myself busy between my internship ending and I move back to University in a few! It'd be kinda cool if it did work though!

Back