What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super Thrive

does super thrive actually work? if so what do you use it on to get the best results?

I'm tagging along I'd like to know the same thing..

I've been using it to water my neps, I don't see that its really helping them but I don't see that its really harming them so I guess I'll keep on using it...lol

lol like how much do you use and how much water do u use?
blues.gif

well I know what I'm doing isn't per the instructions...but I just put about a half a capfull in my two gallon watering jug
biggrin.gif

it's really up for debate.  some people believe that it helps.  personally, i use it (1 drop:1 gallon distilled h2o) occasionally to water my plants with.  i also use it as a root soak when repotting (10 drops : 1 cup h2o).

"superthrive" search results

peace,
technoracer

Superthrive is great stuff. It is not a fertilizer or anything like that, it is a liquid root hormone and vitamin that is for transplanting your plants. I have used thrive for 18 years, and have not lost but one transplant in all that time, and it was because I was out of "thrive" and was late getting it to the plant. My use of thrive is 1/2 cap to 2 or 3 gallons of water, and use it at the beginning of spring when plants awaken, and are developing new roots, or during transplant when it is ideal. It is not for watering your plants with, but rather a feed you can give 2 or 3 times a year for your plants well being, and for root development. Killer stuff to use.

well i think i will try it. it seems even when you use it for anything it doesn't harm your plants it only helps. so i will try some i'm going to replant my plants. i don't wanna harm them so how do i replant my pitcher plant and sundew w/o harming them?
biggrin.gif

IT ROCKS! Use it to occasionally water my Nepenthis'. MAJOR boom in growth.

yea I not only use it on my neps I use it on all my plants out door and house. It just seems to give my non nep plants a glowing hue.

Oh can someone correct me on this but I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't use Superthrive on Droseras.....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Mar. 14 2004,09:51)]Oh can someone correct me on this but I thought I read somewhere that you shouldn't use Superthrive on Droseras.....
Yes, that is corrrect.

Why is superthrive harmful to Drosera? Can you use them safely on Venus FLytraps and Sarracenia's? No wonder my drosera seedlings and plants are doing so bad...

I agree with Flip side, I get the same results. Good stuff MMMMM

Joe

i use superthrive on all of my plants, carnivorous or not. i haven't seen any negative effects on any of them. i have never heard about not using it on sundews.

peace,
tech...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Mar. 13 2004,17:51)]I've been using it to water my neps, I don't see that its really helping them but I don't see that its really harming them so I guess I'll keep on using it...lol
I don't think watering your plants with ST will harm them, but don't use superthrive EVERY TIME you water them, just once in a while -in dilute doses as a supplement to regular watering (I like to dilute the solution to about 1 drop per gallon or so I can JUST BARELY BARELY almost kinda-sorta smell the ST in the water). Using ST in every watering is just asking for problems with algae and any other pesky organisms. It is nice to resume watering with normal water in order to flush the soil of the ST.

As many people know, the jury is still out as far as the effectiveness of SuperThrive is concerned.
It has been shown that ST is not harmful to CP's such as Nepenthes -that is a GOOD thing. However, solid scientific evidence of ST's effectiveness has yet to present itsself. SuperThrive does make SENSE... if that makes sense. What I mean is that when you look at what ST is (most likely) made of, the ingredients add up to a compound that is very helpful for root development. That is why I use it.

I don't use it very often... I have a gallon jug of "Nepenthes: ST" water that is distilled water with 1 drop of ST. I use this water approximatley "whenever I feel like it" which is usually once a month. If I am worried about a plant, I may use a solution of ~1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water.
I have heard many people say that they soak bare root plants in SuperThrive and that it seems to improve chances of survivability.
-T

DIONAEA and SUPERTHRIVE:

I am expecting some bare-root VFT's in the mail this week. Has anyone used SuperThrive on VFT's? Is it safe?
Thanks
-t

I water my plants about once every two or three weeks, I don't need to water them that often as they are in a sealed terrarium. So every time I do water them it is with superthrive. But the waterings are so far apart it equates to a superthrive watering every month.
smile.gif
:):)

how long should one soak thier plant's roots in the ST? I'm expecting a bare root N. rafflesiana.....

I have used 4tblspn per gln for a half hour, though that might need to change if a certain plant does NOT like to have submerged roots even for short periods. At which point it could be more stressful than helpful.

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nepenthe @ Mar. 14 2004,15:42)]DIONAEA and SUPERTHRIVE:
I am expecting some bare-root VFT's in the mail this week. Has anyone used SuperThrive on VFT's? Is it safe?
Thanks
-t
I received some bare root VFT(8),sarrs(4) drosera(1) and neps(2) I soaked all the plants in a ST mixture of 2 drops/in a bowl of distilled H2O. Didn't know about the sundews until now so I'll have to see how it does.I used the same on some red dragons and sarrs last year and they are fine.

I've never lost a plant to transplant and I don't use superthrive. Then again, my growing style naturally produces really robust root systems so it's hard to say. Maybe if I see it for real cheap some time. Like rootone, I just now picked some up even though I've never had a cutting fail because I got a big jar for $5, lifetime supply LOL!

Back