What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews in a Kitchen

• Thread starter Bodgingbrom
  • Start date
B

Bodgingbrom

Ever since a bad batch of bananas came to my kitchen, i've had a fruit fly problem. Some1 told me a sundew would help that. I live at a camp and i have a somewhat large kitchen. Would they really help? I mean i have a lot of flies. Yuck

They probrobly could help in time and they are just neat to grow. If you want more advice keep asking questions please!

Carnivorous Plants should be grown just because you like them and not to solve your insect infestations.

They won't get rid of the problem unless you have lots of plants. Even then, fruit flies multiply fast and the larvae won't get caught as they live in fruits until they are mature.
Joe

That said, if humidity is high and light low, go for adelae--mine has been very adaptable to these conditions in my bathroom. A sundew covered with dying fruit flies may not be much more appetizing than a cloud of living fruitflies, however!

Steve

Actually butterworts are very good for small bugs like gnats and fruit flies. However, like already mentioned, you would need a lot of plants to take care of an infestation problem. It would be much easier to take care of them by other means. (Fly paper is gross but works well).

Suzanne

Back