What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundews best in indirect light?

I don't have a windowsill with good direct sunlight, but want to grow sundews in a terrarium indoors.

I heard that D. Adelea can tolerate indirect sunlight. Any other Drosera that would do well with very little direct sunlight? (maybe 1-2 hours/day direct sun).

Thanks for any info

smile.gif

all Drosera from Queensland.
I prefer to give them more light.

Besides sundews from Queensland, any other suggestions?

Hi WayCool

Where will this terrarium be located? At your window? If you are going to grow sundews in a tank in your room, you can provide good lighting with a simple shop light from a hardware store. You can light a small tank with a 24" shop light (about $11) and 1 GroLux tube and 1 cool white tube. Pretty easy and not terribly expensive set up that will allow you to grow more droserae than the Queensland types. I started with that and it worked fine for me (until I needed more space).

Just something for you to think about.
smile.gif

Suzanne

Droserae are light hungry plants. Indoors they will require some additional light to prevent etiolation (stretching out to get to the light) and to bring out their beautiful coloration. They will not flower well without good light. (2) 40 watt bulbs is really the best way to go with them, about 5 inches from the substrate. Walmart sells fixtures for about 8.00, and the grow bulb about 6.00. Really not too expensive, and it costs next to nothing to burn flourescents.

Back