What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sundews and humidity

will growing sundews in a terrrarium be more fitting than growing them in a pot? because i have heard alot of different things like the dew drying up etc if there not in a high humidity enviroment.my humidity here is always around 60% all the time and my flytraps flourish in it.but sundews i am new too and i have 13 plants in a terrarium,is this the ideal setup for them?.any pointers or suggestions i would appreciate.
smile.gif

It often depends on the species, some are more tolerant of lower humidity than others. The trick with lowering humidity, and it is a good idea to do with as little humidity as possible, is to GRADUALLY acclimate them to less humid conditions. Too quickly and the dew will evaporate and the leaves will not be attractive. Go slowly, and as new leaves are produced these will be more tolerant of the lower humidity, and should produce good dew. To take a plant that has never known less than 100% humidity and try to grow it with 50-70% is likely to cause some drying of the dew, even if this is the ideal level for the plant. My spatulata grow outside in pretty much full sun without problems, so for this species at least lower humidity is possible, but you must be patient and observant, and remember with lower humdity the pots will dry out much more quickly, so be sure to keep them well watered. If acclimating to sun, morning sun is best for a couple of hours, then bring them back into higher humidity and lower light. Get them out when the day is humid and overcast for longer periods. The advantages are a plant that is tougher over all, better able to resist fungus and other pest attacks, and more likely to flower and set seed. It's a little work at first, but the results are worth the effort. Other factors come into play, a dry wind is to be avoided always, and conditions vary from place to place. Just go slowly, and if the plant objects, go even slower!

well i keep my tarrarium in the front window where it gets morning sun,so your saying the lower the humidity the more chances of them drying out.by the way i am growing adelae and spathulata i think i spelled that right.thanks again

anyway my sundews now seem to be having dew on there leaves since i set them up in there terararium,im sure thats a good sign i hope
wink.gif

Back