What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew recommendations needed

Since I know jack about sundews, I was wondering if I could get some recommendations as to what would be some good sundews to start growing in a greenhouse. my wife is in charge of the greenhouse on campus where she works. it's not a stove house type, the temp probably dips a bit at night here in WI during the winter, perhaps into the 60's. there's heaters in there, but I don't know what the thermostat is set at. i'm looking to start some in there just for the heck of it. i'm hoping to get something that's easy, will thrive, and hopefully grow mostly year-round.

thanks in advance

Hmmmmm, a greenhouse you say?
D.capensis and D.aliciae are very easy(also do very well on windowsills too
smile.gif
)
I think any sundew that likes frost free enviroment is good for the greenhouse, I wouldnt attempt any of the temperate sundews though, esspecially not D.rotundifolia(I heard it tends to rot away int he greenhouse in winter, it does best outside anyway)
Dino
cool.gif

I'd go with something from the binata complex. They are bombproof, available in many sizes and are great for pest control.

Also, D. filiformis types! A must have in any collection. I have special likings to D. filiformis 'California Sunset' a very robust and tall growing plant.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sarracenia @ Dec. 08 2004,5:35)]my wife is in charge of the greenhouse on campus where she works. it's not a stove house type, the temp probably dips a bit at night here in WI during the winter, perhaps into the 60's. there's heaters in there, but I don't know what the thermostat is set at. i'm looking to start some in there just for the heck of it. i'm hoping to get something that's easy, will thrive, and hopefully grow mostly year-round.
That sounds like the conditions in our temperate room at HSU. The purpose of our small CP collection is to give students a flavor of some of the the variety, yet be essentially maintenance free. So we grow binata, capensis, filiformis, peltata, regia, sessilifolia, spatulata, and several pygmy species. The binata and filiformis go dormant in the winter and the peltata grows now and then. We also grow a small variety of Pinguicula, Genlisea, Utricularia, Sarracenia, and a few VFT. I have been allotted a space of about 3 feet by 10 feet, so plants get crowded together.

Back