What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew from Lowes

Hi everyone, first I'd like to say that I've been lurking around these forums for a long time and would like to thank everyone for the great info that they provide. Without you guys, I'd be lost!

Now, on to business. I just picked up a sundew from Lowes in the infamous Lowe's Cube and I have no idea what type it is. I looked in "The Savage Garden" and I don't think I saw it in there. I'm hoping you all can help. Here's a pic:

I'm sorry for the poor image quality but its the best I can do at the moment. Also, if anyone has any tips on growing this plant I'd really appreciate it. I intend to keep it in the cube for now, at least until I can acclimate it to where I can take the top off.

Thanks!
-CB

Welcome to the forums.

The plant you have is Drosera adelae.

I would lose the top. Do this slowly over a few weeks time by raising it a little each week until you have it completely removed.
Drosera adelae can be a bit picky in my experience. It seems if the temp is too hot or too much sun, the plant will play the opossum trick till the conditions get better and start to grow again.
I grow mine in an area that rarely gets above 80 deg and bright indirect sunlight on a windowsill.

Here's a pic of my plant.
sundewadelae1.jpg

I can see the adelae, but what else is that big plant with it...?

It looks like you have a couple of light starved Drosera adelae. They get etoliated like yours from a lack of light. Get them in the conditions like Elgecko described and you will notice the plant becomes stockier and gets some red coloration to the tentacles.

And Welcome to the forums!

Thanks guys, I had a hunch that it was D. adelea, but looked tall compared to pictures I had seen. I already have it under a grow light and cracked open the cube ever so slightly to acclimate it. Hopefully its condition will improve.
smile_m_32.gif

-CB

I grow my D. adelae in full blarin Tucson sun... When you do, it gets smaller, and turns pure red. LOL
dadelae.jpg

(it's the one in the front right.. )
Andrew

CPsInAtl,
The whole pot full is Drosera adelae crowding each other. As you can see they are getting pushed out the bottom of the pot there is so many.
smile_n_32.gif

adnedarn,
How long have you grown your plant in direct sunlight?

I tried that with the first Drosera adelae I got.
I tried acclimating it to full sun over a few weeks. The plant stopped producing dew on the leaves. Then the leaves started to turn brown and shrivel up. Then everything above the soil was dead. I was lazy and just placed the pot in a shaded location to clean up for later use. After a few months when the temp outside was much cooler I was shocked to see Drosera adelae plants growing out of the pot. Of course I had already purchased another plant in the meantime.
I have not tried the plant in direct sunlight or the high summer temperatures to see if they will grow that way again with the success of where they grow now.

March 26th I posted the pictues in the green house thread that all my plants were moved to the new green house.. So probably actually got there on the 24th or 25th march. It did grow in sun at the old green house but only got about 2 or 3 hrs of direct sun. I tried to find a picture of it in those photos but can't see it....
confused.gif

Welcome to the forums! And here is my token pic of a former Lowes cube D. adelae refugee, with a few of its friends:

Strausplants0211.jpg

Here's my Lowes D. adelae, she's doing GREAT. Bought in March of this year, I repot it in LFS. She's threw up a flower spike as your can see!

Great pics guys, its encouraging to know that you all have had success with these. Thanks!
smilie4.gif

-CB

Back