What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sundew Flowering?

Does a sundew or any other type have the same effect as a VFT if they flower?

Not to my knowledge! The worst that I have seen is P. primuliflora, after 8 consecutive flowers, look a bit haggard. But that's about it. A D. capensis looked a little rough after flowering, but continued on. I've never had Nepenthes or Sarracenia flower, so I can't speak for them. Never noticed any problems with the flowering Utrics. P. luscitanica did die after flowering.

P. luscitanica is an annual so that can be expected. Mine last year flowered 5 or 6 times before it died tho.

Other Pinguicula will divide sometimes after flowering, but the health doesn't decline.

My D. capensis get some brown leaves while making flowering runs, usually after it has put up 3 or 4 stalks. They started to brown up earlier this time, only 2 stalks into flowering. The first stalk still has flowers to go, and the second stalks are opening flowers already as well, and most of the plants are putting up a third stalk already. These are large D. capensis 'Albino' - width of plants 9-10" height of plant 6-7" (with out touching the leaves or pulling them up) Flower stalks are 18" right now, looks like they will max out at about 20"

Back