What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summer leaves

I bought a VFT (well, 3 in one pot) recently, and when I got it, all of the leaves were the long, skinny summer leaves, instead of the shorter, broader spring leaves. If proper dormancy was observed, shouldn't the VFT have shorter, broader spring leaves?

Here's a pic.
http://img287.echo.cx/img287/4894/vft2small4gb.jpg

Thanks for the replies
smile_l_32.gif

I found out what's causing my leafs to be so long and skinny. I found the reason while reading an entry on VFTs on wikipedia.com

"They thrive with at least a few hours of direct sunlight daily. But hot sun combined with low humidity can spell death for a weak Venus flytrap fresh out of tissue culture. Insufficient light can lead to long, thin leaves that lack red coloring in the traps."

That makes sense. If VFTs in the wild are being overgrown by taller plants, or moss, they would make longer, skinnier leaves to break through to the surface, and get light. It's magic!

The plants you bought were probably relatively fresh out of vitro; so a little confused. I have VFT'S I've had for awhile now under flourescent lighting that have Summer leaves because I leave the light on for so long. They will come around.

Yup, I'm with Goldslinger, the plants are probably pretty fresh out of tissue culture and used to living the lush life. Sorry no one replied earlier, this is my first time seeing this topic.

A very healthy plant. But that plant is not starved of light. I notice the plant has thick large traps with a bit of red in them. Your plant may be a mostly upright grower. Strong upright growth shouldn't be confused weak leggy growth.

Back