What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

suitable plants with carnivores

I am new to terrariums. I am building a 10 gallon bog terrarium with mostly carnivores -- can you recommend any small to medium non-carnivores that I can put in there as well, and that will thrive in a bog terrarium?

BTW, here is a list of my live plants that will be going in ASAP. Anything NCP grow well in similar conditions?

VFT
Drosera prolifera
Drosera montata var. tomentosa
Drosera capensis
Drosera Caledonica

Here is a partial list from 'The Savage Garden' if anyone is interested:

yellow-eyed grass (xyris baldwiniana)
pipewort (eriocaulon compressum)
shoe button (syngonanthus flavidulus)
bog buttons (lachnocaulon anceps)
grass pink (calopogon tuberosus)
rose pogonia (pogonia ophioglossoides)
yellow star grass (hypoxis hirsuta)

Do you plan to make this a "classic" style or plan to have the plant in individual pots and saucers? If it is the latter then I applaud you. The "pots in tank" way is definetly the best method I belive. I don't really have any suggestions but go for acid loving plants...perhaps some Trilliums or something like that?

Good luck!

Some of the plants suggested in earlier messages (Calopogon, Pogonia, trilliums) require a cold winter dormancy, as do the vast majority of N. American and Eurasian plants.  Furthermore, Calopogon and Pogonia (and most of the other plants in the Savage Garden list) require full sun.  They are suitable companions for CP in a bog garden, but will not be satisfactory in a warm terrarium.

You may wish to consider tropical plants like small gesneriads or miniature begonias.  If you are keeping plants in pots, then there is no need to stick to plants that require very acid medium. Just look for plants that like high humidity.

Back