What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sudden Black rot on pitchers???

• Thread starter Gregbey
  • Start date
Hello my nepenthes Gaya has just gotten this random black rot on pichers it seems like an overnight thing one of them was a small pitcher and happened within 2 days so i cut if off now its on this pitcher but its not browning first its going straight black and as you can see on the Pictures its going vertically.. anyone seen this? Should i cut the pitcher completely off? Ive had pitchers brown out after shipment or being old but never just turn into what looks like a black rotting pitcher. Also the leaves seem fine and there seems to be what will be a be a new pitcher soon..

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_174054934_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211216_174054934_HDR.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20211216_174104189_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211216_174104189_HDR.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20211216_174107981_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211216_174107981_HDR.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20211216_174042282.jpg
    IMG_20211216_174042282.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 4
My Gaya did the same thing when it got cold here. We had a warm fall and then temps dropped very fast and it has stayed cold. I am pretty sure it’s from the sudden change in temps since nepenthes take a little while to acclimate. On mine the newest pitcher was fine but the 4 before it black rotted from the top down and then the 2 oldest pitchers were fine. It has grown new pitchers since that are perfectly fine. It has also since formed 2 basals I’m guessing from this shock also. My plant is just in open air in my house too by the way so I think your plant should be fine

My Gaya did the same thing when it got cold here. We had a warm fall and then temps dropped very fast and it has stayed cold. I am pretty sure it’s from the sudden change in temps since nepenthes take a little while to acclimate. On mine the newest pitcher was fine but the 4 before it black rotted from the top down and then the 2 oldest pitchers were fine. It has grown new pitchers since that are perfectly fine. It has also since formed 2 basals I’m guessing from this shock also. My plant is just in open air in my house too by the way so I think your plant should be fine
Thing is that temperatures haven't dropped since this started its slowly gotten a little colder but slowly and nothing crazy and the humidity is good i had 90% humidity last night i had to slow my humidifier down cause i live in a studio apartment and am not trying to get mold lol but i cut the pitcher off completely and I'll see what happens. Thank you.

Back