What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just wanted to let you all know that my U. subulata is flowering nicely in my P. ionantha pot.  It's the first time this species has flowered for me indoors.  They regularly flower for me in early summer in my outdoor gardens, but not indoors, until now.  
smile.gif

What triggered this phenomenon?  

Could it be light? I did add another light strip and changed 2 of the 40w bulbs to  Ultra Daylight by GE.  Total INITIAL lumens are rated at 9875 for my setup.

Terrarium move? I followed Tamlin's example and moved my 55 gallon aquarium so the top is now the side and the bulbs are resting on the 'side' glass.  The lights are therefore closer to the plants.

Humidity? Since the terrarium move, the humidity levels have dropped from the 90% range to 50-70% on average.

Aside from these changes, I don't know what else could have triggered them flowering.  It's a mystery for most, if not all growers it seems.  The photoperiod I might add is 12.5 hours a day... nothing special.  Well, I just wanted to share this accomplishment.

-Homer

Congrats! I have yet to see any of my utrics flower,maybe nexy year.:)

Yawn. Big deal. Naw, just kidding! Actually, I have these weeds flowering at different whiles without rhyme or reason, time or season. Be careful not to keep it next to your other Utricularia if you want species purity in your culture: Subby is self seeding and self SOWING, and does both prolifically. Now would be the best time to seggregate it from other members of this genus in your collection!

Hehehe,I hope mine grows like a weed! Btw.is it hardy in zone 5b?

for some reason , this plant is the most challenging utric to grow for me its kinda dieing and all my other utrics are doing so well . i hope it grows again and flowers , i've also been having trouble growing u. pubescens and u. livda considering they are easy .
rock.gif

U. subulata survives light freezes, total dryness and probaby volcanic eruption and/or meteorite impact. I am surprised it's not the dominant lifeform on the planet.

I`ll have to try that next year then!

Back