What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

substrate hlp

im thinking of replanting my vft cuz one of them is relly cramped
all the traps are squished to the side of the pot and some are getting rotten
is it ok if i use 50/50 peat and perlite insted of sand?
rock.gif

hmmm... i should have read the vft care sheet on the top of the page
wink.gif

ahahahhhaah my newbness is showing

I haven't had very good luck with 50/50  Peat and Perlite (although I haven't isolated my problems to the mix yet).  Since they can grow in pure peat, try 75/25 to be on the safer side.  If I had to guess it is because the perlite isn't as useful as sand for nutrients.

cool thanks a lot
i wasnt sure about the perlite for a 50/50 misx either for the same reasons

Sand is much better
in my opinion

can i use the kind of sand used for planting succulents instead of silica sand?
i cant find any silica sand...
anyone on Long Island know where i can get any sand suitable for use with CP's?

A pool or patio place should have the appropriate sand. BTW: Let's Go Mets!!!!

Mets? Bah.

Mets = My Entire Team Stinks.
tounge.gif

-_-
I like the Mets AND the Yankees
but for the most part, i agree with Schloaty
sry jim,
o and thanks im about to go get some
biggrin.gif

Oh well. I will always be a Met fan - good or bad - even down here in Philly territory.

At least we know where to get good pizza, cheesecake, and Chinese food. We also know how to eat pizza properly: fold it; let the grease drip down to the elbows; and enjoy!

I use a peat moss/perlite mixture for my VFTs and have great success with it. I shoot for a 50/50 ratio, but its usually somewhere in the 50-70% peat moss/30-50% perlite range. Either way, it works great for me.

I've purchased plants in a 100% peat moss and just left them in the pot they came in---they have never done as well as the ones I've repotted myself.
tounge.gif

ok so i have the peat moss and the sand and i was thinking of adding a little perlite in.
is it ok if i use regular water to prepare them? (Like wet the peat moss and wash the sand and perlite with regular water from a sink)

HD: You're better off going to the grocery store and buying a few gallons of distilled water. It's cheap and CP safe. Tap water isn't.

If your going to wash the peat and perlite then use pure water for the peat. Sand you can use tap or hose water to wash with but then you need to rinse it with pure water a couple times to remove the disolved minerals left by the tap water.

smile.gif

BCK

ok one more thing, i bought a big bag of Peat Spag, but it has some wetting agent and fertilizer in it
is this lethal to carnivorous plants?
its Shultz

[b said:
Quote[/b] (HellzDungeon @ April 20 2004,8:28)]......... it has some wetting agent and fertilizer in it
is this lethal to carnivorous plants?
its Shultz
Any fertilizer in the concentrations used for house plants is lethal for CPs.  You need pure Peat Spag.  No additives.  Just pure Peat Spag.  You can put your own additives in it at home (aka sand or perlite).

smile.gif

BCK

phew, good thing i didnt use it, im gonna get a bale of pure peat spag
i thought they would help the plants -_-
lol newb 4 evr
biggrin.gif

Back