What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Study shows species to go extinct.

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I came across this article on species extinction. It seems that several hundred species will go extinct in the next 10-20 years if land is not set aside to protect them.

Species Extinction.

Not a real in depth article, but maybe it will get some people to pause and think about it.

I think all sarrs may eventualy go extinct because of so much hybridizing,eventualy producing a lot of hodge pdge plants that no body realy knows the parentage of. Oh but wait a minute! There will always be vegitave propigation to keep the species pure so throw out that hypothesis!

Pond boy,
If that were a true statment, that would have happened LOOOOONG ago. The reason (I think) there will always (baring human interfeirence/rogue meteors/etc.) be pure species is that generally (not always, but frequently enough), hybrids aren't as fertile as pure species. I'm pretty sure there's more to it than this, but I'm no genetisist, so this is where I have to stop....
rolleyes.gif

Hybridisation is a pretty complex topic. Even if hybrids are potentially fully fertile, there are several ways by which 'pure' species (whatever they are) can be maintained. For instance, species may have different ecological requirements and be spatially separated even within an area, e.g. different soil moisture preferences. Species tend to flower at different times and may attract different pollinators. Hybrids may be less fit than their parents, so are selected against - e.g. a hybrid between S. flava & psittacina probably won't catch much.

Humans can mess some of this up, by altering habitats so different species grow in greater proximity, or reducing population sizes etc. Vegetative reproduction won't necessarily keep wild species 'pure', as particular clones do die out and are replaced by seedlings.

Giles

its going to be a very depressing future with knowing that some spcies of cps will be extinct in the wild , who know if there were even more species that were cleared out before . some poeple that are unknowledgble about these plants that have misunderstood them for years without knowing the true facts would be really happy probabaly to see that the man eating plant supposedly is extinct . i hope thsi article isn't ture and that everything will be still here when i turn inot and old man in a retirmenat home
wink.gif

Back