What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stratify or not?

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
Some sources say to cold stratify for four weeks, some say stratification is not needed. Some don't say.

What's the consensus with the successful VFT seed germinators here?

I can't be considered a sucessfull grower but advised by some when I sown mine
smile.gif
I say don't stratify. ;)

No stratification required.

VFTs flower in May and drop their seeds in June. They quickly germinate and have 3/4 a season's growth before winter dormancy.

Plants which drop seeds in the autumn (sarracenia/darlingtonia) require stratification.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alexis @ Jan. 11 2007,7:53)]No stratification required.

VFTs flower in May and drop their seeds in June. They quickly germinate and have 3/4 a season's growth before winter dormancy.

Plants which drop seeds in the autumn (sarracenia/darlingtonia) require stratification.
Sarracenia are more stratification dependent aren't they? I've sown some darlingtonia without stratification and 1 germinated at first, in december all the others started germinating to. The doubt is if that the cold they caught is enough to consider they have been stratified
crazy.gif

But I've seen topics of darlingtonia sown fresh with complete sucess (in cpuk, don't know if the user I'm refering to is also around here) ;)

Back