What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stratifacation on seeds

Is stratifacation needed for these plants? I haven't gotton a clear cut answer before. Has any one succesfully grown VFT seeds with no stratifacation?

uglypho,

Generally, VFT seeds do not require stratification if sowed fresh. I do not have experience with VFT seeds stored for long period of time. I have read that stored VFT seeds are not as viable as fresh VFT seeds. Are your seeds fresh?

Stratification of Seeds:

Hmmm!! would it be another way of saying storing seeds??. Nobody as far as i know has shown whether stratification is in fact necessary for successful germination.

I would say that when seeds are produced (from plants of cold-temperate climates), usually there is a 3-4 month period of inactivity before the growing season starts again. So keeping the seeds in a fridge, would be like mimicking mother nature and thus, keeping them safe until that time comes again!!.

The proof is that VFT may go dormant in winter, but the seeds can be germinated at any time. Maybe keeping seeds viable is the function of stratification.

Agustin

VFT seed begins to loose its viability the longer it is left at room temperature. Seeds can be stored in glass vials in the fridge for several years and germination is still possible.

Thanks.... I am planning on seeding them next year.....first batch failed......

Back