What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange VFT seedling

I have a small VFT that came in a large order I placed last year. Instead of forming a rosette it was more like a small dome. I could tell that it looked like several twisted together, but not a very large root structure. Several of the leaves just started turning black, so I decided to seperate the individual plants. There is little if any visable root structure, but the strangest thing is that the leaves are coming off of the base that looks more like a rizome than a bulb.It is in a line instead of a rosette. I spoke with the grower that I purchase it from last year to see if he used tissue culture and he said that they only started them from seed. Any ideas.
Marjorie

VFTs do often divide and if you can end up with a number of plants which have a definite white rhizome (yes-not a bulb) as well as a least a couple of roots each then everything should be ok. Just plant them up and they'll sort themselves out. They don't often have that many roots as they are only really needed for collecting water and they live in sodden peat anyway, so they don't need to reach for it.

Back