What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange pests

Lately I've noticed tons of small, white, fast moving bugs in my biggest terrarium. They basically just scurry around my plants all the time. They don't seem to be able to fly either. From what I can see so far they aren't doing any damage, but I thought I'd ask you guys about this before I start ignoring them. They're hanging out on my Nepenthes mostly.

Anyone know what these things might be? Should I take action against them? If so, what kind of action?

any chance you can post a picture of them?

(hmm, must be spring...this is the second topic in a row I've read where people need help IDing a bug!)

They're actually way too small to photograph! I can barely see them myself
smile_n_32.gif

I get those little bugs also. All of my plants are in my room and I dont want any bugs so I hit the plants and soil surface with an indoor insecticide and plant blatterworts in all my pots for the bugs in the soil. So far this has killed off about 80% of the bugs.

Sound likes spring tails. They are common and harmless. They also make good sundew food.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Mar. 23 2006,6:52)]I get those little bugs also.  All of my plants are in my room and I dont want any bugs so I hit the plants and soil surface with an indoor insecticide and plant blatterworts in all my pots for the bugs in the soil.  So far this has killed off about 80% of the bugs.
My plants are in my room too. I enjoy being able to look at them
smile.gif

Ozzy: I hope that's what they are. Like I said, it they don't seem to be causing any damage so far, so perhaps they're springtails.

While I'm at it, one of my Neps, a N. x Ventrata cutting that I got from a forum member, seems to have the little white bugs on it in additions to some small red bugs. They're even smaller than the white bugs and they move slower. Anyone want to take a jab at what these little guys are?

That sounds serious. They may be aphids.

There is some stuff put out by Bayer and it sells at lowes. Its in a blue spray bottle. Its bayer advanced rose and flower insect spray. I was told about it on another forum. Its not listed for ochids, but its the same chemical as Merit, and the stuff you put on dogs once a month for fleas and ticks. I haven;t used it on my CPs yet, but if it didn't harm some delicate orchids I would suspect it would be fine for CPs too. Its a systeming insectacide, and you can spray it in the house. It is suposed to last for 30 days because the plant takes it up and circulates the chemicals so it is water proof and all that jazz. The only reason they do not have for orchid use on the label as Iam told is because they didn;t want to spend the money for licensing yada yada. I can find the thread from orchid source if you want talking about this stuff. They also sell the same chemical in a bush and tree concentrate, but see it cann't be recomended because it doesn;t have a dilution for orchids or other flowers on the label and it is illegal ro use or recomend something when its not on the label of the insectacide, but its the same stuff. Just have to figure out the dilution. The spray bottle of the rose and flower spay is ready to use. It took me about 3/4 of a bottle to treat my entire GH minus the CPs. I had to do some spot spraying the other day for some aread I missed. So far so good. I have heard dinomite things about Merit so since this is the same chemical it should be just as dinomite.

Dang, thanks for the info JB! I'll definitely check out that spray. Would you happen to remember how much you payed for the bottle?

If they are springtails, which it sounds like, they are harmless and you are wasting your time with insecticides (they are not insects) and just risk poisoning yourself

Back