What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange P. esseriana

Hello,

A few weeks back I ordered two P. esseriana. They arrived with much longer leaves than any of the P. esseriana I had already and the leaves were smooth, not upturned. At the moment the long leaves of my two new P. esseriana are all in various stages of drying out and the emerging leaves are shorter and have upturned margins, so now they look like my other P. esseriana. For a while I thought the nursery made a mistake and sent me a different species, like P. rotundiflora, which would have been nice but I'm happy with my cute plants.

anyway
My question is did they not get enough light in the nursery where they were or are they not getting enough light in my care? (BTW, I have them in a windowsill, they get sun from 8-12ish). Also I got an P. esseriana a while ago from PingMan that had pinkish leaves, by now all the leaves are bright green. So that is also making me think my plants are not getting enough light. I like the small bright green leaves a lot but does longer, pinkish leaves mean that this species is in good conditions?
Thanks for reading all this and for any info, LA Traphole

Almost everybody says pings need partly sunny conditions. I have an P.esseriana and a P.grandiflora and they are growing fine in partly sunny conditions.

Hey LATraphole, my plants did the same thing as they went through the winter and summer seasons. See the pics below. I do believe the longer leaves are normal if you grow them in natural light. As for the pinkish leaves, I've never seen it, but many pings will get a nice light pink color with extra lighting conditions.

esseriana.jpg

summer leaves

esseriana2.jpg

winter leaves (same plant, three months later

Yes, the summer leaves on my P. esseriana get a brilliant pink/red color in them. Pingman, show us some photos of your magic pings?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif
smile_l_32.gif
smilie4.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanx for the info Wicked and for the picture. Very nice looking plant. I need to get a digital cam and start putting some pics in here.

I had no idea this species changes like that. My other P. esseriana did not look like that this past winter. I guess my new plants are simply getting over winter and putting out their summer leaves. The long leaves had me confused.

I'm not worried about my plants getting enough light anymore though. Now that all the clouds have gone and we are getting more sunlight in the morning my P. 'Weser' (or what's supposed to be P. 'Weser') is starting to turn pink.

Thanx again, Sincerely LA Traphole

Nice ping machele(I think I messed up the spelling on your name).:) That winter growth seriously looks like a green Semprivivium(Sp?)???

My P. esseriana is starting to get pink leaves. I'll put a pic up here when I take and upload one...

Here is a photo of Pinguicula esseriana I have been growing under fluorescent lights.

pesseriana_b1.jpg

IMG_2574.JPG

mine is starting to get a pink color because I placed it under a brighter CF light.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Here is a recent (taken tonight) photo of a group of Pinguicula esseriana, (reportedly a large clone - some exceed 2 inches in diameter) which has a very pale pink flower. This illustrates the variety that a slight difference in cultural conditions (in this case only the media differs slightly) can produce. All of these plants are vegetative propagations of one initial plant.

p_esseriana_large_clone.jpg
</span>

Wow those looks huge, where do you keep all those and all the other species you have? I hope to have as many Pings as you someday. Pings are fast becoming my fave CP cuz they're so easy to keep. (in fact I want to change my forum name to SouthCaliBwarts, butnI don't know how)

I haven't seen any flowers in real life so I can't wait for my plants to starting making some.

Thaks for the photos they're always a joy to see

Oh jah, Pingman's got the best ping photos around!

The esseriana flowers are cute, ping and utric flowers are the favorite distraction on my desk at home.

Back