What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange brown balls in soil.

I was repotting some of my plants today and on a few of them I noticed these balls clustered around the roots right under the moss I use to top my pots. They are pretty solid, can anyone identify these?

NDPzmTZ.jpg

msdT7lN.jpg

cQ5Bczi.jpg

Those look like a common seed from bird food mixes to me. I'm not sure how that would end up in your pots.

Seconding nimbulan. Looks like seeds--cut them open, and if there is whitish endosperm inside, you've gotten to the bottom of it.

I can't see too well but a species of rhizome borer has frass like that, check to make sure nothing was eating the rhizomes

It could be some kind of pest, I suggest that you check the root health of your plants. I'm far from an expert on the matter, though.

That’s easy!
Eggs from an earthworm. Usually not a problem, I see sometimes young earthworms in my Cephalotus. They did no harm there.
They are native to the Old World in North America imported from Europe as far I remember.
Here experienced gardeners identify them easily.
There are a lot of species here. Eggs are always a bit different and somewhat rubbery to the touch. They live on dead material.
Good for the compost in our gardens and very good for the soil.
They mostly don’t love soil of the acidic side. Some do.

Last edited:
Back